Electric field of a square's edges

In summary, the conversation is about finding the electric field above a square loop with a uniform line charge using symmetry and integration. The participant's approach is logical and their integration process is correct, but they are advised to double-check their limits of integration and include units in their equations for a more accurate result.
Niles

Homework Statement

Find the electric field a distance z above the center of a square loop (side s) carrying a uniform line charge λ (see Figure 1) - it's problem 2 on this page:

http://teacher.pas.rochester.edu/PHY217/Homework/HomeworkSet3/HomeworkSet3.html

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, first I use symmetry, so the horizontal components must cancel for the 4 edges. The vertical component of one edge is given by:

[tex]\frac{2}{{4\pi \varepsilon }}\int\limits_{x1 }^{x2 } {\frac{\lambda }{{\left( {x^2 + z^2 } \right)}}} \cos \phi dx[/tex],

where cos(\phi) = z / sqrt(x^2+z^2) so x1 = s/2 and x2=s/sqrt(2) since these are the minimal and maximal values of x.

Pay attention to that I have multiplied with 2, so we find the one whole edge, not just the half of one edge. I integrate, and multiply it all with 4 to give the correct result.

Am I correct?

Physics news on Phys.org

I would like to commend you on your use of symmetry to simplify the problem. Your approach seems logical and your integration process is correct. However, I would suggest double-checking your limits of integration for the vertical component. Since the loop is centered at the origin, the limits should be from -s/2 to s/2, rather than s/2 to s/sqrt(2). Additionally, I would recommend including units in your equations to ensure accuracy in your final result. Overall, your attempt at a solution is on the right track, but make sure to double-check your limits and units for a more accurate answer.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds an electrically charged object. It is a measure of the force exerted on other charged objects within the field.

2. How is the electric field of a square's edges calculated?

The electric field of a square's edges can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the electric field is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charges and inversely proportional to the distance between them.

3. What factors affect the strength of the electric field of a square's edges?

The strength of the electric field of a square's edges is affected by the magnitude of the charges on the square's edges and the distance between them. It is also influenced by the medium in which the charges are located.

4. How does the direction of the electric field of a square's edges change?

The direction of the electric field of a square's edges changes based on the relative positions of the charges on the edges. It always points away from positive charges and towards negative charges, and the direction can also be affected by external electric fields.

5. What are the units of measurement for the electric field of a square's edges?

The units of measurement for the electric field of a square's edges are newtons per coulomb (N/C) or volts per meter (V/m).