Water solubility of benzoic acid

In summary, the problem involves calculating the water solubility of benzoic acid at 25°C based on the given pH and Ka values. The balanced reaction of benzoic acid is C6H5OOH → C6H5OO- + H+ and the expression for Ka can be used to calculate the concentration of C6H5OOH at equilibrium. By assuming that [CH3COOH] in the Ka expression is the amount dissolved, we can ignore the solid form and use the known values of [H+] and [CH3COO-] to calculate the water solubility of benzoic acid.
phyzmatix
[SOLVED] Water solubility of benzoic acid

Homework Statement

At [tex]25^{0}C[/tex] a saturated solution of benzoic acid with [tex]K_{a}=6.4 x 10^{-5}[/tex] (can't get this thing to display a simple multiplication sign in the equation) has a pH = 2.80. Calculate the water solubility of benzoic acid in moles per litre.

Homework Equations

We know [tex]pH = -log[H^{+}][/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't find examples of similar problems in any of my textbooks, but was thinking for the balanced reaction of benzoic acid, we have

[tex]C_{6}H_{5}OOH \rightarrow C_{6}H_{5}OO^{-} + H^{+}[/tex]

and calculating [tex][H^{+}][/tex] from the above equation gives [tex]1.584 x 10^{-3}mol/L[/tex]

Does this mean that (from the balanced equation) the water solubility is equal to this value? Or is there some intermediate steps I was supposed to follow?

Thanks peeps.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Write the expression for Ka and plug in what you know.

Hi chemisttree!

I thought of that, but don't understand how that will help (I'm not saying you're wrong, I'd just like an explanation)...I thought that, if I substitute the values into the expression for Ka, I can calculate the concentration of [tex]C_{6}H_{5}OOH[/tex] at equilibrium, but that doesn't tell me how much of it was dissolved in the water. My understanding of the terminology is that the water solubility is the maximum amount of the substance that can be dissolved in water. Is that right? Which basically means that it's the difference between the initial concentration (whatever that is) minus what's left over at equilibrium, i.e. the change in concentration which is [tex]1.585x10^{-3}[/tex] (assuming that the initial concentration of [tex]H^{+}[/tex] is 0.

I hope you don't mind my asking, but please explain.

phyzmatix said:
Hi chemisttree!

I thought of that, but don't understand how that will help (I'm not saying you're wrong, I'd just like an explanation)...I thought that, if I substitute the values into the expression for Ka, I can calculate the concentration of [tex]C_{6}H_{5}OOH[/tex] at equilibrium, but that doesn't tell me how much of it was dissolved in the water.
Assume that [CH3COOH] in the Ka expression is that amount which is dissolved... ignore the solid stuff. You know [H+] and you therefore know [CH3COO-].

chemisttree said:
Assume that [CH3COOH] in the Ka expression is that amount which is dissolved... ignore the solid stuff. You know [H+] and you therefore know [CH3COO-].

*PING!*

:smile:

Thank you very much for your time! Obviously my understanding of the chemistry underlying this problem was the limiting reagent here :biggrin:

1. What is the water solubility of benzoic acid?

The water solubility of benzoic acid is approximately 3.5g/L at room temperature.

2. How does temperature affect the water solubility of benzoic acid?

The solubility of benzoic acid in water increases with temperature. As the temperature increases, more kinetic energy is available for the particles to overcome the intermolecular forces and dissolve in water.

3. Is benzoic acid more soluble in hot or cold water?

Benzoic acid is more soluble in hot water than in cold water. This is because the solubility of benzoic acid increases with temperature.

4. What is the pH of a saturated solution of benzoic acid in water?

The pH of a saturated solution of benzoic acid in water is approximately 3.5, making it slightly acidic.

5. Can the water solubility of benzoic acid be increased?

Yes, the water solubility of benzoic acid can be increased by adding a water-soluble solvent such as ethanol or acetone. These solvents can disrupt the intermolecular forces between the benzoic acid molecules, making it easier for them to dissolve in water.