Elastic collision find final velocity 8.39

In summary, a 0.147 kg glider moving to the right at a speed of 0.720m/s collides elastically with a 0.309 kg glider moving to the left at a speed of 2.26 m/s. The final velocities of both gliders can be found by using the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy equations to solve for the unknown variables.
emeraldempres
A glider of mass 0.147 kg is moving to the right on a frictionless, horizontal air track with a speed of 0.720m/s . It has a head-on collision with a glider 0.309 kg that is moving to the left with a speed of 2.26 m/s. Suppose the collision is elastic. Find the magnitude of the final velocity of the 0.147 glider. Find the magnitude of the final velocity of the 0.309 glider.

So fa all that I know is that both of the gilders will go in the direction of the left when they coliide. I started my problem thinking that i could add the momentum of the gliders together and go from there but i am haveing trou
ble sticcking to the plan

Physics news on Phys.org
Collision is elastic so kinetic energy is conserved and so is momentum.

anything else that can hellp me?

That's all you really need I believe,you'll get two equations with two unknowns and you can solve.

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects where there is no loss of kinetic energy. This means that the total kinetic energy of the two objects before and after the collision remains the same.

2. How do you calculate the final velocity in an elastic collision?

The final velocity in an elastic collision can be calculated using the equation: Vf = (m1u1 + m2u2) / (m1 + m2), where Vf is the final velocity, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and u1 and u2 are the initial velocities of the two objects.

3. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, there is no loss of kinetic energy, whereas in an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound. Inelastic collisions also typically result in a change in the shape of the objects involved.

4. Can the final velocity in an elastic collision be greater than the initial velocity?

Yes, it is possible for the final velocity in an elastic collision to be greater than the initial velocity. This can occur if the two objects involved have significantly different masses and velocities before the collision.

5. What are some real-life examples of elastic collisions?

Some real-life examples of elastic collisions include billiard balls colliding on a pool table, a game of air hockey, and a rubber ball bouncing off a hard surface. Elastic collisions also occur in physics experiments, such as in particle accelerators.