How do I arrive at the title Understanding Series and Sequences in Calculus?

In summary, the book seems to be saying that if a series converges and the limit comparison test says that it does, then both an and bn converge. However, if bn converges and \frac{1}{2^n-1}> \frac{1}{2^n}, then an does not converge.
sharkshockey
Hope all of you had a good July 4th (for those that celebrate it)!

Anyways, I'm trying to figure out series and sequences. I'm using Stewarts' Single Variable Calculus: Early Transcendentals, 6th. ed.

For instance, under Section 11.4, the Comparison Tests, I don't understand how one arrives at bn.

Example:

[tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]^{\infty}_{n=1}[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{2^{n}-1}[/tex]

The book then proceeds to state:

an = [tex]\frac{1}{2^{n}-1}[/tex], which I understand because it's written as [tex]\Sigma[/tex]an.

However, the book then proceeds to state that:

bn = [tex]\frac{1}{2^{n}}[/tex], which I have no idea how they got there. Do I just remove all constants from an? Or do I remove all variables that are not attached by an "n"?

Also, my Calculus 1 is a bit rusty, but how exactly does (excerpted from p.717, Example 4 of Stewarts)

[tex]\frac{(n+1)^{3}}{3^{n+1}}[/tex] [tex]\times[/tex] [tex]\frac{3^{n}}{n^{3}}[/tex]

=[tex]\frac{1}{3}[/tex]([tex]\frac{n+1}{n}[/tex])3

=[tex]\frac{1}{3}[/tex](1+[tex]\frac{1}{n}[/tex])3

=[tex]\frac{1}{3}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
i don't have a copy of that book, so here's a conjecture (going by the looks of it):
that's the ratio test. you determine the ratio of (n+1)th term to the n th term as n approaches infinity, and conclude depending on whether the value obtained is greater or less that 1, the series is cgt or dvt. in this case it turns out to be 1/3.

sharkshockey said:
Hope all of you had a good July 4th (for those that celebrate it)!

Anyways, I'm trying to figure out series and sequences. I'm using Stewarts' Single Variable Calculus: Early Transcendentals, 6th. ed.

For instance, under Section 11.4, the Comparison Tests, I don't understand how one arrives at bn.
It's just implementing the comparison test:

11.PNG

dirk_mec1 said:
It's just implementing the comparison test:

View attachment 14612

Error: Does not compute.:confused:

Sorry, I'm still confused :frown:

I just skimmed your first post... I think this is relevant though:
B sub n is just some other series that was (almost) arbitrarily picked because it converges.

You can use the limit comparison test. I don't know a good mathematical way to explain this, but when I learned that test, my instructor called bn the "simpler version" of an. As it was stated earlier, we know that [tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{2^{n}}[/tex] converges. So, the limit comparison test says that if lim[tex]_{n\rightarrow\infty}[/tex][tex]\frac{a_{n}}{b_{n}}[/tex]=c, and c>0, then both an and bn converge or both diverge, if bn converges, so does an and the same goes for divergence.

[tex]\frac{1}{2^n-1}> \frac{1}{2^n}[/tex]
because the numerator on the left is smaller than the numerator on the right. However, that really doesn't help because you want to show this converges so you need "<" not ">" to a convergent series.

You might say [tex]\frac{1}{2^n-1}< \frac{2}{2^n}[/tex]
and then argue that since [tex]2\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{1}{2^n}[/tex] converges, so does [tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{1}{2^n-1}[/tex]

and, of course,
[tex]\frac{(n+1)^3}{3^{n+1}}\frac{3^n}{n^3}= \frac{3^n}{3^{n+1}}\left(\frac{n+1}{n}\right)^3[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{1}{3}\left(1+ \frac{1}{n}\right)^3[/tex]

1. What is the difference between a series and a sequence?

A series is a sum of terms in a sequence, while a sequence is a list of numbers or objects in a specific order.

2. How do you find the next term in a sequence?

To find the next term in a sequence, you can use the given pattern or formula to determine the value. Alternatively, you can use the difference between each term to find the next one.

3. What is the difference between an arithmetic and geometric sequence?

In an arithmetic sequence, each term is found by adding a constant value to the previous term. In a geometric sequence, each term is found by multiplying a constant value to the previous term.

4. How do you determine if a sequence is convergent or divergent?

A sequence is convergent if its terms approach a finite limit as the number of terms increases. It is divergent if its terms do not approach a finite limit.

5. Can a series converge if the sequence it is based on is divergent?

Yes, a series can converge even if the sequence it is based on is divergent. This is because the terms in a series can cancel each other out, resulting in a finite sum.