Taylor Polynomial Homework: Estimating x Range with Error < 0.01

In summary, the conversation is about estimating the range of values for which a given approximation of sin(x) is accurate within a specified error. The two methods discussed are the alternating series estimation theorem and Taylor's Inequality. The person is unsure of how to proceed and is advised to look up the alternating series version as it is easier.
vigintitres

Homework Statement

I can either use the alternating series estimation thereom (which i don't really know) or Taylor's Inequality to estimate the range of values of x for which the given approximation is accurate to within the stated error.

sin(x) = x - (x^3)/6 (|error| < 0.01)

Do I just start writing out the terms of the sine series? I'm not sure exactly what I'm supposed to do here.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are supposed to estimate the error in a truncation of the infinite series. As you don't seem to know either the alternating series estimate or the Taylor series remainder term, I think you will need to look at least one of them up. Can you do that? I would suggest starting with the alternating series version. It's easier.

thanks, Dick, I will look that up

1. What is a Taylor polynomial?

A Taylor polynomial is a mathematical approximation of a function using a finite number of terms from its Taylor series. It is commonly used to estimate the value of a function at a specific point.

2. How do you determine the x range for a Taylor polynomial with an error less than 0.01?

To determine the x range for a Taylor polynomial with an error less than 0.01, you need to use the Lagrange remainder term in the Taylor series. This term represents the maximum possible error between the actual function value and the value obtained from the Taylor polynomial. By setting this term to be less than 0.01 and solving for x, you can find the range of values for x that will give an error less than 0.01.

3. Can a Taylor polynomial have an error greater than 0.01?

Yes, a Taylor polynomial can have an error greater than 0.01. The error of a Taylor polynomial depends on the number of terms used in the approximation and the behavior of the function itself. In some cases, it may not be possible to find a range of x values that will give an error less than 0.01.

4. What is the significance of having an error less than 0.01 in a Taylor polynomial?

An error less than 0.01 in a Taylor polynomial means that the value obtained from the polynomial is very close to the actual value of the function at that point. This is important because it allows for more accurate calculations and predictions, especially in applications where small errors can have a significant impact.

5. How can I use a Taylor polynomial to estimate the value of a function at a specific point?

You can use a Taylor polynomial to estimate the value of a function at a specific point by choosing a suitable number of terms from the Taylor series and evaluating the polynomial at that point. The more terms you use, the more accurate the estimation will be. However, it is important to note that the Taylor series may not converge for all values of x, so the accuracy of the estimation may vary depending on the chosen point and the behavior of the function.