Another method of solving integrals?

Also, from this it follows that the limit of g(t) as t->infinity is the maximum value. However, to show that this maximum value is less than 1.1, we can use the fact that the integral of 1/x^2 converges, and so the integral of 1/x^1.5 must also converge, and therefore cannot equal 1.1.
avr10

Homework Statement

[tex]\text {Find m such that }\displaystyle\int^m_4 \frac{1}{x\sqrt{x}}\,dx = .9[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\displaystyle\int^m_4 \frac{1}{x\sqrt{x}}\,dx = .9 \Rightarrow \displaystyle\int^m_4 x^{-3/2}\,dx = .9 \Rightarrow -2m^{-1/2} +2(4)^{-1/2} = .9 \Rightarrow m = \frac {4}{1.9^{2}} = 1.108[/tex]

If I plug this value back into the original integral, it comes out as [tex]-.9[/tex]. Should I solve this integral another way? Also, an extention of the problem is

[tex] \text {Explain why there is no number m such that} \displaystyle\int^m_4 \frac{1}{x\sqrt{x}}\,dx = 1.1[/tex]

It seems like that has to deal with convergence issues, something I'm just beginning to learn. Any hints for the first step?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your numbers again, I get m = 400.

To do the second part, show that the integral is maximal if m=infinity, and show that the value of the integral in that case is less than 1.1.

avr10 said:
[tex]\displaystyle\int^m_4 \frac{1}{x\sqrt{x}}\,dx = .9 \Rightarrow \displaystyle\int^m_4 x^{-3/2}\,dx = .9 \Rightarrow -2m^{-1/2} +2(4)^{-1/2} = .9 \Rightarrow m = \frac {4}{1.9^{2}} = 1.108[/tex]
I don't know latex but that bold part is wrong (Addition mistake) I also get 20^2

You added when you should subtract

To do the second part, show that the integral is maximal if m=infinity, and show that the value of the integral in that case is less than 1.1.

Thanks, in order to show that it is maximal at infinity, does it suffice to say that since x must always be greater than 0, then the integral is maximal at infinity? That doesn't sound very rigorous...how would you phrase it?

I think it should be enough to show that the function
[tex]g(t)=\int_4^{t}\frac{dx}{x\sqrt{x}}[/tex] is always increasing (you could use FTC, with g'(t)>0), and so it follows that g(t) is maximal as t->infinity.

1. What is another method of solving integrals?

Another method of solving integrals is called the substitution method. This method involves substituting a variable in the integral with a new variable that makes the integral easier to solve.

2. How does the substitution method work?

The substitution method works by identifying a variable that can be replaced with a new variable that makes the integral easier to solve. The new variable is then substituted into the integral and solved using basic integration techniques.

3. When should the substitution method be used?

The substitution method is most useful when the integral contains a complex function or multiple functions that cannot be solved using basic integration techniques. It can also be used to simplify an integral and make it easier to solve.

4. Are there any limitations to the substitution method?

Yes, there are certain limitations to the substitution method. It may not always be possible to find a suitable substitution for the variable in the integral. In addition, the resulting integral may still be difficult to solve even after substitution.

5. Can the substitution method be combined with other integration techniques?

Yes, the substitution method can be combined with other integration techniques such as integration by parts or partial fractions. This can help to simplify the integral even further and make it easier to solve.