Bidirectional pure sine wave inverter

In summary, an inverter designed to function as a charger for the battery will cost more than a regular pure sine wave inverter. The additional cost of $1000 comes from the bi-directional features of the inverter.
thierryl
Hello All:

A project of mine requires a bi-directional inverter that will take a 12VDC (most likely) battery to single phase 120VAC pure sine wave for utility tie (mains power). I will also require the inverter to be able to rectify to utility's power to charge the battery as well.

Since I am in my final year of electrical engineering, I am more familiar with the theory and implementation rather than the products and the market of inverters.

What I do not understand too well are the inverters that are labeled as bi-directional.

As an example, what I am looking for is something like this:

http://www.samlexamerica.com/products/productdescription.asp?ProductsID=17800

That is, an inverter designed to function as a charger for the battery. What I don't understand is that for a 1000-1500W bi-directional inverter, the cost of such product will find itself in the range of $1500-2000. In comparison, a regular pure sine wave inverter of same size will cost at least $500.

My question is, where does this additional cost of $1000 come from? What aspect or portion of the inverter has been designed to be bi-directional? I understand battery management features such as 3 stage chargers.. Would a "regular" $500 inverter be able to behave as a rectifier (with the assumption that a full bridge topology is used?)

Originally, I had intended to buy components to the level of mosfets, drivers, analog filters, etc. but I do not believe I will have the time to put it together (in approx. 4 months). Since I need such an inverter for my project, but only say... $300-400 budget, can the additional features that a truly bi-directional inverter has be added to a regular inverter ? What are my options?

Sorry but as you can tell this is my first power project, and any enlightment would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
never mind! prof helped me out..

good chance I'll be building a bi-directional inverter myself so I may keep updating this post for progress and any problems I will run into..

I am having your problem ?
and I wonder if building a bi-directional inverter will be that hard ,,,,?
I need an answer please ,, and if any document can help ..
thanks in advance

1. What is a bidirectional pure sine wave inverter?

A bidirectional pure sine wave inverter is an electronic device that converts direct current (DC) electricity into alternating current (AC) electricity, and vice versa. It produces a smooth and steady sine wave output, which is similar to the waveform of the electricity supplied by power companies.

2. How does a bidirectional pure sine wave inverter work?

A bidirectional pure sine wave inverter works by converting the DC electricity into high-frequency AC electricity using electronic switching components. This AC electricity is then passed through a filter to produce a pure sine wave output. In the opposite direction, it converts the AC electricity into DC electricity using a rectifier circuit.

3. What are the advantages of using a bidirectional pure sine wave inverter?

One of the main advantages of using a bidirectional pure sine wave inverter is that it produces a high-quality, stable output that is suitable for powering sensitive electronic devices, such as computers and medical equipment. It also allows for the efficient use of energy by converting DC electricity from sources like solar panels or batteries into AC electricity for household use.

4. Can a bidirectional pure sine wave inverter be used in any type of electrical system?

Yes, a bidirectional pure sine wave inverter can be used in any type of electrical system as long as it is properly sized for the intended load. It is commonly used in off-grid or backup power systems, as well as in vehicles and boats.

5. What should be considered when choosing a bidirectional pure sine wave inverter?

When choosing a bidirectional pure sine wave inverter, it is important to consider the power requirements of your electrical system, the efficiency of the inverter, and any additional features such as surge protection or remote monitoring. It is also important to ensure that the inverter is compatible with the type of batteries or power source you will be using.