Building a pump from scratch, engineering competition

In summary: Also, with a full shop you can custom fit the pump to the engine rather than adapting and engine to a pump.In summary, the conversation is about building a pump from scratch for an engineering competition. The pump needs to be able to pump 30 liters of water per minute for 30 minutes to a height of 4 meters and be built in 3 days. The best options are a centrifugal or a PD pump, with the simpler and cheaper option being preferred. The competition has a budget and a weight limit of 15kg. The team is considering a self-priming PD pump with a single or multiple piston design, but is unsure about the force and pressure needed. They have access to a fully equipped machine shop and
Mike.
***Building a pump from scratch, engineering competition***

Hello everyone.

I have been entered into a competition.

The spec is to build a pump that can pump 30 litres of water a minuet for 30 minuet to a height of 4 meters.

The pump has to be built over 3 days (18hours) but i have until January to plan the build (and hopefully practice it)

I am just asking for simple ideas of what to make, i am a mechanical engineering apprentice, i have skills in turning milling CNC CAD etc, but all the pumps i have worked on are all cast.

So mainly my question is, What do you think the best type of pump would be to make a centrifugal one or a PD one(keeping in mind that the simpler/cheaper the better)
It doesn't have to be bullet proof as it only has to run for 30min

Any ideas or thoughts would be great.

All the best

Mike

Engineering news on Phys.org

I would go with either a centrifugal or a mixed flow design since it will be the simplest. Euler's equations will give you a +/- 25% estimate of the pumps performance. What materials do you have to work with? Do you have full access to CNC lathes/mills? Is there a budget? What criteria will decide who wins the competition?

Most pumps are cast instead of machined because its cheaper, not because it performs better.

The simplest is going to be a PD pump similar to what has been used for water wells for centuries. A centrif will require some pretty high end machining as well as design even if it will be extremely inefficient. A cylinder is a pretty easy thing to design and make. The worst thing to think about would be the sealing. A two way hand pump would give you the flow you need and the head is only 4 ft which is nothing.

However, you don't mention anything as far as other rules or constraints for the competition. Do you get more points for more flow? If that's the case maybe a centrif is the way to go. You would need to think of getting a prime mover though.

http://www.bisonpumps.com/

bison-hand-water-pump.jpg

IT has to pump 30liters of water per min for 30 min.

So after 30 min they want 900 liters in a tank (4 meters high)

Cost isn't a problem but cheaper is better.
Weight is a problem having to be less than 15kg.

Our idea firstly was a centrifugal pump, but it needs to be self priming.

So we thought of a PD pump, kinda like a single cylinder engine just pumping water not fuel.

We just need to get a motor powerful enough/ light enough to power the pump.

We though a good point to start from would be to 5 liters ever 10 sec.

The idea would be to either have 1, 5 litre piston or 3, 1.7 litre pistons.

Its just a case of working out how much force we would need to push/pull the piston within the cylinder.

I know that presser is force over area, and i know the area but don't know the pressure.

Any ideas?

We also don't know how for the pump will have to self prime. I.e the inlet vessel might be 1 ft away or it could be 30

IT has to pump 30liters of water per min for 30 min.

So after 30 min they want 900 liters in a tank (4 meters high)

Cost isn't a problem but cheaper is better.
Weight is a problem having to be less than 15kg.

Our idea firstly was a centrifugal pump, but it needs to be self priming.

So we thought of a PD pump, kinda like a single cylinder engine just pumping water not fuel.

We just need to get a motor powerful enough/ light enough to power the pump.

We though a good point to start from would be to 5 liters ever 10 sec.

The idea would be to either have 1, 5 litre piston or 3, 1.7 litre pistons.

Its just a case of working out how much force we would need to push/pull the piston within the cylinder.

I know that presser is force over area, and i know the area but don't know the pressure.

Any ideas?

We also don't know how for the pump will have to self prime. I.e the inlet vessel might be 1 ft away or it could be 30

Again, why kind of equipment and tools do you have available? Do you have a fully equipped machine shop or a shack behind your house?

Fully equipped workshop, all brand new machines.
And i can take any tools i like to the compertition.

Since you have a full fledged machine shop, you need a self priming pump, and weight is going to be a significant issue I would go with a gear type or maybe gerotor type pump. Both require tight tolerances and surface machining but since you have the equipment it shouldn't be to much of an issue.

1. How do you start building a pump from scratch?

First, research and understand the basic principles of pump design and function. Then, gather all necessary materials and tools, and create a detailed plan or blueprint for your pump. Begin by constructing the pump's frame and housing, followed by the internal components such as the impeller, shaft, and seals. Finally, test and troubleshoot your pump to ensure it is functioning properly.

2. What materials are commonly used in building a pump from scratch?

The specific materials used may vary depending on the type and purpose of the pump, but some commonly used materials include metals such as steel and aluminum for the pump's frame and components, rubber or plastic for seals and gaskets, and various types of piping or tubing for fluid transfer.

3. How long does it take to build a pump from scratch?

The time it takes to build a pump from scratch can vary greatly depending on factors such as the complexity of the design, the availability of materials and tools, and the skills and experience of the builder. It could take anywhere from a few days to several weeks or even months to build a pump from scratch.

4. What are some common challenges or obstacles when building a pump from scratch?

Some common challenges when building a pump from scratch include ensuring proper alignment and fit of the various components, selecting the right materials for the pump's intended use, and troubleshooting any issues with the pump's functionality. It is also important to follow proper safety precautions when working with potentially hazardous fluids or machinery.

5. How can I make my pump stand out in an engineering competition?

To make your pump stand out in an engineering competition, focus on creating a unique and innovative design that effectively meets the specified criteria. Pay attention to details and ensure all components are well-constructed and functional. Additionally, be prepared to explain the design and engineering principles behind your pump and any challenges you faced during the building process.