Vacuum cleaner with pc fan possible?

In summary, to make a vacuum cleaner using just a few tupperware boxes, some tape, and a pc fan, it is possible, but the static pressure created will not be very strong.
daredriven
Hi! I would like to ask for some help regarding a project I am thinking of making. Well, the thing is, I would like to make a vacuum cleaner with just a couple of tupperware "boxes" 8sorry, I don't know how you english people refer them to...:P), some tape to prevent air leak and a 63 CFM pc fan. Is it possible? I have tried to do one but did not follow the physics principle and ended up with a vacuum cleaner that had a hard time sucking anything... Now, I have found an image from the inside of a vacuum cleaner and I am interested in knowing if it is feasible and if it will be powerfull enough to move water across some tubes (the water will never come into contact with the fan, as I have a separate compartment for it).
I really wanted to do this thing, as I really need a vacuum pump for school and buying a 75dB vacuum cleaner is not really the best course of action (having that thing making noise while explaining something to students is not really the best way). Thank you for your time and I hope you don't think I am crazy lol - I am a little, by the way.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF...

What you need to look into is the static pressure your fan can generate. That's where the suction comes from. Often times the static pressure is measured in inches of water column, meaning 1" of static pressure is enough to raise a column of water 1".

Looking at the spec sheets of a few fans, you'll find that an axial fan (one with blades that spin perpendicular to the direction of motion) doesn't produce much static pressure. A centrifugal blower is what you would need. But you'll also find that the size of fan you get to run on 12V is perhaps 1/1000th the power of a standard vacuum cleaner blower.

Could setting up multiple pc fans in-line double the static pressure?

I'm not an engineer( CS major ), I don't know much about dynamics but I'd like to know more about static pressure.

Yes, static pressure is additive for fans in series.

If it's ok to have the water in contact with the fan, then aquarium power head pumps are quiet and powerful. The big ones are virtual garden hoses. A link to some submergable pumps:

aquaclear.htm

I'm guessing that the venturi port on one of these would provide quite a good vacuum at moderate volume if you really need to draw air. You plug in a small plastic hose into the venturi port and it will draw air. The pump remains submerged, but the hose can lead to an air chamber.

1. Can a vacuum cleaner be made using a PC fan?

Yes, it is possible to make a vacuum cleaner using a PC fan. In fact, many DIY enthusiasts have successfully built their own vacuum cleaners using PC fans.

2. How does a vacuum cleaner with a PC fan work?

A vacuum cleaner with a PC fan works by using the suction power of the fan to pull air and debris into the vacuum. The fan creates a low-pressure area inside the vacuum, causing air and debris to be sucked in through the intake.

3. What materials are needed to make a vacuum cleaner with a PC fan?

The materials needed to make a vacuum cleaner with a PC fan include a PC fan, a container or box to hold the fan, a power source, and a filter or mesh to trap debris.

4. Is a vacuum cleaner with a PC fan as effective as a traditional vacuum?

The effectiveness of a vacuum cleaner with a PC fan depends on the strength of the fan and the design of the vacuum. In general, it may not be as powerful as a traditional vacuum, but it can still effectively clean small areas or pick up light debris.

5. Are there any safety concerns with using a vacuum cleaner with a PC fan?

As with any DIY project, there are potential safety concerns when making a vacuum cleaner with a PC fan. It is important to ensure that all components are securely attached and that the power source is safely connected. Additionally, it is important to use caution when cleaning up potentially hazardous materials with a DIY vacuum cleaner.