Major in biology with say psychology

In summary, the speaker is interested in biology and is wondering about job opportunities with a major in biology and a minor in psychology or chemistry. They have heard about the possibility of jobs in microbiology, food lab technology, and medical or diagnostic products development, as well as graduate study in research or jobs in biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries. They have also heard about potential opportunities in biostatistics and bioinformatics. They are curious about the growth of the neurosciences field and are interested in learning more about bioinformatics.
Sorry!
yes this is a physics forums but I been coming here for a while (not really posting a lot but meh :P reading) and i notice that there is a biolog section andI'm REALLY interested in biology and I'm applying to university soon... I've noticed that for first year you take general courses for the sciences and then second year you move into particular fields.

i'm just wondering if you guys know of jobs that exist with a major in biology with say psychology or chemistry minor

cause i remember nearly all my high school science teachers explaining how they went into sciences got their masters and when they got out of school they couldn't really find a job that interested them so they came to teaching lol.

i'm from toronto if that makes any difference... I'm just wondering what fields of work would be available though

Physics news on Phys.org

Sorry! explained:
REALLY interested in biology and I'm applying to university soon... I've noticed that for first year you take general courses for the sciences and then second year you move into particular fields.

i'm just wondering if you guys know of jobs that exist with a major in biology with say psychology or chemistry minor

Sure. Before giving the answers, be aware that the Physics and Math courses are still great to study along the way. Now, consider microbiology technician, food lab technician, medical or diagnostic products development, maybe some technical work in public health. Maybe quality control analyst for a foods company.

As with any science, the undergraduate education can prepare you for graduate study which is necessary if you want to get into research. Most of the experimental oncology scientists I know, for example, come from a biology or biochemistry background.

Biologists can also get jobs in the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries.

Also think of biostatistics and bioinformatics, two growing fields.

thanks guys :D all these sound really interesting i remember reading something about the neurosciences being a growing field anyone know if its true still? (and if it will continue to grow)

bioinformatics sounds interesting never heard of it even... lol :P going to go look that bad boy up

1. What are the career opportunities for someone with a double major in biology and psychology?

Biology and psychology are two very diverse fields, so there are many career paths you can take with a double major in these subjects. Some examples include working in research labs, pursuing a career in healthcare, or becoming a therapist or counselor. You can also go on to graduate school to specialize in a specific area of biology or psychology.

2. How do these two majors complement each other?

Biology and psychology have a lot of overlap in terms of subject matter. Understanding the biological processes that underlie behavior can greatly enhance your understanding of psychology. Additionally, studying psychology can provide valuable insights into how individuals and societies function, which can be applied to various areas of biology such as studying animal behavior or the impact of environmental factors on human health.

3. Is a double major in biology and psychology more challenging than just studying one of these subjects?

Yes, pursuing a double major in two different disciplines can be more challenging as it requires a significant amount of coursework and dedication. However, many students find that the two subjects complement each other well and make for a well-rounded education.

4. Can I still pursue a career in biology or psychology if I only major in one and minor in the other?

Yes, you can still pursue a career in either field with just a major or minor in one of the subjects. However, having a double major can give you a more comprehensive understanding and make you a more competitive candidate for certain jobs or graduate programs.

5. Are there any specific courses I should take to prepare for a double major in biology and psychology?

It is recommended to take courses in both biology and psychology, as well as courses that focus on the intersection of these two subjects, such as neuroscience or behavioral genetics. It can also be beneficial to take courses in statistics or research methods to prepare for the research aspect of both fields.