Liboff: A decent undergrad textbook?

In summary, the conversation discusses different textbooks for studying introductory quantum mechanics. The participants have mixed opinions on Liboff's book, with some finding it to be a good resource while others recommend staying away from it. Many suggest using Griffiths' book as a better alternative for self-study, with a strong emphasis on physical motivation. Overall, it seems that Griffiths' book is the preferred choice for students entering the field of quantum mechanics.
physicist311
At our university we use Introductory Quantum Mechanics by Liboff 4th ed. What are your opinions on that book? I write this as a physics undergrad going to take QM next spring and looking for a decent well explained QM book to study over the summer. I also have a strong math background in Calc, ODE's, and Linear Algebra. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I used Liboff as an undergrad and I think it is a very good book. The organization is non-standard, so it would be good to use a course syllabus as a guide (I would guess that the syllabus will do some jumping between chapters).

confinement, how would you compare it to other books like Griffiths and Shankar?

I didn't really care for Liboff. It has maybe a bit more material than Shankar, but not as much physical motivation. Shankar is also much more self-contained and conducive to self-study.

I am reading forums time to time, but i was not a member up to now. I just registered to say this;

stay away from liboff in any case. griffiths' book is far way better than it. Shankar is a good book, too. Griffiths' book is a good start, though.

Thanks Bozon. Since I first posted the topic, I have been talking to other students and grad students around the physics dept. about Liboff. Most agreed it was an OK book at best. Also, many told me that Griffiths is the best for a student first entering QM. So I think I will study Griffiths this summer. To everybody who replied: thanks for the help.

1. What makes Liboff a good textbook for undergraduate students?

Liboff is a comprehensive and well-organized textbook that covers all the essential topics in undergraduate physics. It is written in a clear and concise manner, making it easy for students to understand complex concepts. Additionally, it includes a variety of practice problems and examples to help students apply what they have learned.

2. Is Liboff suitable for self-study or is it better used in a classroom setting?

Liboff is suitable for both self-study and classroom use. The textbook is designed to be self-contained, with detailed explanations and examples that can be easily understood without the guidance of a teacher. However, it can also be used in a classroom setting as a supplement to lectures and discussions.

3. Does Liboff cover all the necessary topics in undergraduate physics?

Yes, Liboff covers all the essential topics in undergraduate physics, including mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. It also includes a section on special relativity, which is often not covered in other undergraduate textbooks.

4. Are the problems in Liboff challenging enough for undergraduate students?

The problems in Liboff vary in difficulty, with some being more challenging than others. However, overall, the problems are suitable for undergraduate students and provide a good balance between conceptual understanding and mathematical application.

5. Is Liboff a good textbook for students with different learning styles?

Yes, Liboff caters to different learning styles by providing a mix of text, diagrams, and mathematical equations. It also includes examples and practice problems with varying levels of difficulty, allowing students to choose which approach works best for them.