Steps for calculating dc generator output potential

In summary: Try something like 17,000 or 25,000 instead.In summary, the wire has properties that may not be practical for an electromechanical device, and calculating the output of the device would be difficult due to the high coil RPM.
Xeromyr
I need help understanding a few different items regarding electromechanics, and I'm not really sure where to start. Though the figures I have provided immediately seem impractical (coil melt down, coil explosion due to excessive rpm, inside dimensions exceeding their respective outside dimensions when certain figures are added together, ect), they are the numbers I must work with.

Wire properties:
Enamel copper motor wire.
AWG 24 (0.0201 in dia).
Wire length: 40,000 feet
Turns of wire in coil: 46462.84
Coil RPM: 18,364,800
Coil distance from magnets: .05 inches

Magnet properties:
Material: Neodymium
Pull Force: 705.23 lbs
Surface Field: 5630 Gauss
Brmax: 14,800 Gauss
BHmax: 52 MGOe

I am unsure if magnetic fields "stack" (double, triple, ect) when they are close or put together, but if they do then assume that two of those magnets are .6 inches in distance from and parallel to, each other. Also assume that the coil is .5 inches in width and would be between those magnets.

Basically, how would I even start calculating the types of output this would generate? Volts, watts, amps -- you name it.

Thanks in advanced. :)

Edit:
Do you think the appropriate first steps would be something along the lines of this.
Calculate weight of copper mole: 63.549g
Calculate copper weight of wire: 22188.650118g
Divide weight of mole by total weight of wire to get number of moles: 349.174615
Multiply number of moles by Avogadro's Number to get number of total atoms (6.02)(10^23):
Multiply number of total atoms by number of electrons in a single atom to get total number of electrons in circut (29):
Calculate percent error:

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Bump?

What are dimensions of this generator? Is the copper wound on a stator or on an armature? Does the generator have a commutator or slip rings on the armature? Does the generator have diode rectifiers (like an automobile)? Does the generator have a neodymium magnet armature? Do you commutate the exciting current with a Hall effect probe? Your RPM is much too high.

1. How do you calculate the output potential of a DC generator?

To calculate the output potential of a DC generator, you need to multiply the number of conductors in the armature by the number of poles in the field, the rotational speed in revolutions per minute (RPM), and the magnetic flux density in Tesla.

2. What is the formula for calculating the output potential of a DC generator?

The formula for calculating the output potential of a DC generator is: Output Potential (V) = (Number of Conductors x Number of Poles x RPM x Magnetic Flux Density) / 60

3. What factors affect the output potential of a DC generator?

The output potential of a DC generator is affected by the number of conductors in the armature, the number of poles in the field, the rotational speed, and the magnetic flux density. Other factors that can affect the output potential include the type and condition of the brushes, the type of winding used, and the strength of the excitation current.

4. How can you increase the output potential of a DC generator?

To increase the output potential of a DC generator, you can increase the number of conductors in the armature, increase the number of poles in the field, increase the rotational speed, or increase the magnetic flux density. Additionally, you can use more efficient brushes and windings, and adjust the excitation current to optimize the output potential.

5. What is the maximum output potential of a DC generator?

The maximum output potential of a DC generator is determined by its design and construction. It is typically limited by the maximum rotational speed and the magnetic flux density that the generator can handle. However, with advancements in technology and design, the maximum output potential of DC generators continues to increase.