Calculating Microstates and Oscillators in a Collection of Objects

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a model of 2 atoms in an Einstein solid with 6 one-dimensional oscillators and 4 quanta of vibrational energy. The equation for calculating the number of microstates for a given energy is given and used to solve part A. Part B is also solved using a formula found online.
fball558
Microstates oscillators??

Homework Statement

I have no idea where to begin on this problem. but here is what it asks

Consider an object containing 6 one-dimensional oscillators (this object could represent a model of 2 atoms in an Einstein solid). There are 4 quanta of vibrational energy in the object.

(a) How many microstates are there, all with the same energy?

(b) If you examined a collection of 44000 objects of this kind, each containing 4 quanta of energy, about how many of these objects would you expect to find in the microstate 000004?

there probably is just an equation I am not seeing in the book, but i can't find it so if you could give me some help that would be great. in the mean time i will continue looking in the book.
thanks all!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hey, for part A, use this equation:

number of microstates = (number of quanta + number of oscillators -1)!/(number of quanta!*(number of oscillators-1)! :)

thx a lot now I know how to do part a

but still not sure abt part b

there is one formula that post online but I didn't get the right solution

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090413191454AApVs7Y [Broken]

u can try anyways

Last edited by a moderator:

Awe, THANKS! It worked for me!

So for part A you should have gotten 126.
Then for part B you should have gotten 349.21

Did you try that?

that way on yahoo answers worked for me

yeap
now I get it
haha hbt problem 6 part b?

1. What is a microstate oscillator?

A microstate oscillator is a physical system that exhibits repetitive and periodic motion at a microscopic scale. It consists of small, discrete units that interact with each other to produce a collective behavior.

2. What are some examples of microstate oscillators?

Some examples of microstate oscillators include atoms vibrating in a crystal lattice, molecules rotating in a gas, and electrons moving in an electrical circuit.

3. How do microstate oscillators work?

Microstate oscillators work by exchanging energy and momentum between their individual components, causing them to oscillate back and forth in a repetitive pattern. This exchange is governed by the laws of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion.

4. What is the importance of studying microstate oscillators?

Studying microstate oscillators is important because they are fundamental building blocks of many natural and engineered systems. Understanding their behavior can help us understand and predict the behavior of larger and more complex systems.

5. How are microstate oscillators relevant to different scientific fields?

Microstate oscillators have applications in various scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering. They are used to study phenomena such as heat transfer, chemical reactions, biological rhythms, and electronic circuits.