What are the three real solutions for the equation x^2=2^x?

• Thread starter Emethyst
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves finding the solutions to the equation x^2=2^x and it is shown that there are three real solutions by sketching the appropriate curves. The values of 2 and 4 are found by visual inspection, but a numerical method such as Newton's method or bisection is needed to find the third (negative) value.
Emethyst

Homework Statement

Consider the equation x^2=2^x. Show that there are three real solutions by sketching appropriate curves. Solve the equation.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Not really a calculus style question but because it is part of my calculus work I included it here. The first part of this question was simple: I sketched the graph of this equation, finding out that there are 3 points of intersection. The problem I'm having is actually finding what these intersection values are. I know just from looking at the graph and using guess and check that 2 and 4 are two of the values, but I have no idea how to find the third (negative) value. For some reason I was thinking of using Newton's Method, but I do not know how I could apply it to this question, nor if that is even the right method to use to find the value. Any nudge in the right direction for this question would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are already going the right direction. You need to apply a numerical method to find the third root. The root is a zero of the function f(x)=x^2-2^x. Newton's method will work, but it's maybe a bit complicated. You could also use bisection to get a quick estimate.

1. What is a solution for an equation?

A solution for an equation is a value or set of values that make the equation true when substituted into the variable(s) of the equation. In other words, it is the value(s) that satisfy the equation and make it a true statement.

2. How do you solve an equation?

To solve an equation, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation and simplify the other side. This can be done by using algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. The goal is to get the variable by itself on one side of the equation to determine its value.

3. What is the difference between a solution and a solution set?

A solution refers to a specific value or set of values that satisfy the equation, while a solution set refers to the collection of all possible solutions for the equation. In some cases, there may be more than one solution, and the solution set would include all of those values.

4. Can an equation have more than one solution?

Yes, an equation can have more than one solution. This typically occurs when the equation is a quadratic or higher order polynomial, and the solutions are multiple values that make the equation true.

5. How do you check if a value is a solution to an equation?

To check if a value is a solution to an equation, simply substitute the value into the equation and see if it makes the equation a true statement. If the equation is true when the value is substituted, then it is a solution. If not, then it is not a solution.