Create Adiabatic System: Steps & Tips

In summary, creating an adiabatic environment involves vacuum insulation and keeping surfaces highly reflective. The goal is to raise the surroundings to the same temperature and maintain a balance of heat input and output without generating excess heat. There are examples of successful adiabatic engines, such as the 1959 Opel P1 experimental, and Smokey Yunick's adiabatic engine which utilized the Vortex Chamber.
siranram
how to create an adiabatic environment

Engineering news on Phys.org
vacuum insulation

Q_Goest said:
vacuum insulation
My Dyson has some of that...

FredGarvin said:

You have a Dyson vacuum cleaner ??:cool:

FredGarvin said:
:rofl:

Rules: Six words or less thread. :wink:

Q_Goest said:
vacuum insulation

Keep the surfaces polished (high reflectivity).

Last edited:
siranram said:
how to create an adiabatic environment

Might be my next door neighbor.:confused:

RonL said:
Might be my next door neighbor.:confused:
Redbelly98 said:
Keep the surfaces polished (high reflectivity).
Extra points for exactly 6 words.

Raise the surroundings to same temp.

Infinite layer of REALLY GOOD insulation.

Provide same heat input as output.

Don't generate excess heat.

We can keep going...

Pull that vacuum, hold that vacuum.

See: Smokey Yunicks adiabatic engine, if you want to know the secret come and ask me via pm.
You should also check out the 1959 opel p1 experimental, built and engineered by the brilliant engineers at shell oil corporation in 1962, weighed 2500 pounds and got 376 miles per gallon. Enjoy

NintendoKD said:
See: Smokey Yunicks adiabatic engine, if you want to know the secret come and ask me via pm.
You should also check out the 1959 opel p1 experimental, built and engineered by the brilliant engineers at shell oil corporation in 1962, weighed 2500 pounds and got 376 miles per gallon. Enjoy

Smokey understood the magic Vortex Chamber.

1. What is an adiabatic system?

An adiabatic system is a thermodynamic system that does not exchange heat with its surroundings. This means that there is no transfer of thermal energy between the system and its environment.

2. Why would one want to create an adiabatic system?

Creating an adiabatic system allows for precise control and manipulation of temperature within the system, making it useful for experiments and research in thermodynamics and heat transfer.

3. What are the steps to create an adiabatic system?

The steps to create an adiabatic system include: isolating the system from its surroundings, minimizing heat transfer through insulation, reducing friction and heat production within the system, and closely monitoring and controlling temperature changes within the system.

4. What are some tips for creating an adiabatic system?

Some tips for creating an adiabatic system include using materials with low thermal conductivity for insulation, minimizing air flow and drafts within the system, and using precision instruments for temperature monitoring and control.

5. What are some examples of adiabatic systems?

Some examples of adiabatic systems include insulated flasks, thermos bottles, and vacuum chambers, as well as experiments involving compressed gases or rapid temperature changes.