Steel Frame Analysis (suffer torsion)

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of finite element analysis to solve for member forces in a steel frame, specifically in regards to vertical loading and torsion. The person also asks for book recommendations for further reading on the topic. The other person suggests using Calculix for free, as hand calculations would be tedious and impractical. The person asking the question also inquires about any books that provide examples for solving steel frames using engineering equations.
Su Solberg
Hi every one.

As Steel Frame Manuel mostly discribe the force analysis in vertical loading,

I wonder how can i solve the following case, a member that suffer torison.
Is there any reference book you might suggest me to read ,too?

Thanks for your kind help.

The attached are the cases I would like to calculate:

Attachments

• Mechanic Problem.PNG
    Mechanic Problem.PNG
    3 KB · Views: 552
  • Mechanic Problem2.PNG
    Mechanic Problem2.PNG
    2.4 KB · Views: 512
Engineering news on Phys.org
It appears your applied moment transfers through the green apparatus to become (the negative of) the blue force couple shown in your diagram. Therefore, you have loads applied on your structure, and you would use finite element analysis to solve for the member forces in your frame. Performing finite element analysis by hand calculations would be very tedious and is generally impractical. You could instead perhaps try Calculix for free.

nvn said:
It appears your applied moment transfers through the green apparatus to become (the negative of) the blue force couple shown in your diagram. Therefore, you have loads applied on your structure, and you would use finite element analysis to solve for the member forces in your frame. Performing finite element analysis by hand calculations would be very tedious and is generally impractical. You could instead perhaps try Calculix for free.

Thanks for suggestion.
I know the frame can be solved by FEA, however I wonder is there any method to solve it by engineering equations.

Is there any books that have such kind of example??

Thank you very much for your kind help.

1. What is steel frame analysis?

Steel frame analysis is the process of evaluating the structural integrity and stability of a steel frame structure under different loads, including torsion. This involves using mathematical models and calculations to determine the stresses and deformations in the frame, and ensuring that it can withstand the expected forces and loads.

2. Why is torsion important in steel frame analysis?

Torsion is an important factor in steel frame analysis because it can significantly affect the stability and strength of the structure. Torsion occurs when a force is applied to a structural member, causing it to twist or rotate. If the frame is not designed to withstand torsional forces, it can lead to structural failure or damage.

3. How is torsion accounted for in steel frame analysis?

Torsion is typically accounted for in steel frame analysis by considering the effects of torsional forces on individual members, as well as the overall stability of the structure. This can be done through mathematical calculations, computer simulations, and physical testing. Designers may also incorporate specific design features, such as bracing or shear walls, to resist torsional forces.

4. What are some common types of torsional loading in steel frame analysis?

Some common types of torsional loading in steel frame analysis include wind loads, seismic forces, and uneven distribution of loads on the structure. These forces can cause twisting and rotation in the frame, which must be accounted for in the analysis and design process.

5. How can torsional effects be minimized in steel frame analysis?

Torsional effects can be minimized in steel frame analysis through proper design and construction techniques. This may include using symmetrical framing, incorporating diagonal bracing, and ensuring that all members are properly connected and aligned. It is also important to consider the effects of torsion during the design phase and make any necessary adjustments to the structural system.