Gravitation: Mass Ratio, Separation, and Potential Maximum

In summary, the gravitational potential between two bodies is expressed as Gm/r, where G is the gravitational constant, m is the mass of one of the bodies, and r is the separation between the two bodies. To find the position where the potential is at a maximum, we need to find the value of r that maximizes this expression.
karis

Homework Statement

A. The mass ratio of the Earth and the moon is 81:1 and the earth-moon separation is 3.8x108m. At which position between the Earth and the moon is the gravitational potential at a maximum?

B. Which of the following statement about a communication satellite in parking orbit above the Earth's surface is incorrect?
A. It is accelerating towards the centre of the Earth at all times.
B. It must be in a circular orbit above the Earth's equator
C. It is always vertically above the same place on the Earth's surface
D. It must be rotating in the same sense and with the same angular speed as the earth
E. It is at a height where its gravitational potential energy is numerically equal to its kinetic energy

C. X and Y are two planets. Each of them has a low-altitude satellite revolving in a circular orbit close to the planet. If the two satellites are observed to have the same period, then X and Y must have nearly the same
A. mass
B. average density
C. radius
D. acceleration due to gravity at the planet surface
E gravitational potential at the planet's surface

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For A, i have absolutely no idea, I've tried to simply use ratio to get the answer n i failed.
For B, i know A,C and E are correct answers, but why B is correct too?

Thz so much :):):)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello karis,

Well, you did not put anything under the "relevant equations" section. What is the expression for the gravitational potential between two bodies? Once you have that equation, you can figure out what value of the separation, r, between the two bodies, maximizes it.

For part B, think about it this way: that satellite must have the same orbital period as the Earth's rotation period in order for it to be geosynchronous. However, in order for it to have the special geosynchronous orbit where it is always above the same point on the Earth's surface (geostationary) a further condition must be satisfied, which is that its speed relative to the ground must be zero. Different points at different latitudes on the Earth's surface rotate at different speeds...

thz so much, cepheid,

i got Part B now,

as for part A
the equation is Gm/r, and what should i do with the m?
i rly don't know wt to do next :( :(:(

1. What is the equation for gravitational force?

The equation for gravitational force between two objects is F = G(m1m2)/r2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

2. How does the mass ratio affect gravitational force?

The mass ratio between two objects affects gravitational force in a direct proportion. This means that if one object has a larger mass than the other, it will exert a greater gravitational force on the other object.

3. What is the significance of the separation between two objects in gravitational force?

The separation between two objects is a crucial factor in determining the strength of gravitational force between them. The farther apart the two objects are, the weaker the gravitational force becomes.

4. How does the potential maximum relate to gravitational force?

The potential maximum is the maximum amount of potential energy that an object can have due to its position in a gravitational field. The closer two objects are, the higher the potential maximum will be, and therefore the stronger the gravitational force between them will be.

5. How does the inverse square law apply to gravitational force?

The inverse square law states that the strength of gravitational force between two objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that the farther apart two objects are, the weaker the gravitational force will be between them.