Uncertainty in parameters -> Gauss-Newton

In summary, the author is uncertain about how to estimate error in function parameters given errors in data points, and is looking for a method equivalent to that using the covariance matrix in weighted linear least squares.
Or Entity?
Uncertainty in parameters --> Gauss-Newton

Hi guys!

I have a set of datapoints, and i´m about to use Gauss-Newton to fit a model function (Lorentzian) to these points. So we´re talking abut a nonlinear least squares regression.

How do I estimate error in function parameters given errors in data points?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Simulation using pseudo-random number generation?

EnumaElish said:
Simulation using pseudo-random number generation?

Nothing I'm familiar with. Could you develop?

Isn´t there any method equivalent to that using the covariance matrix in weighted linear least squares?

Allright, have read it through. Thanks
One thing though, where does the errors from my original data come in?

I will write vectors in bold, so for example y = {y(1), ..., y(i), ..., y(n)}.

In a proper bootstrap, you are just "mixing and matching" the errors you've already computed: y*(i) = y(i) + u(j), where j is "almost surely" different from i, u(.) are the computed errors, and y* is a convolution of y. This "remix" algorithm is repeated many times (say 100 times), so you have 100 different estimates of your model parameters coming from convoluted vectors y1*, ..., y100*.

In the approximate bootstrap (monte carlo?), you use the computed errors to derive the approximate "population distribution." Suppose the errors "look like" they are distributed normally with mean = 0 and standard deviation = s, i.e. u*(i) ~ N(0,s2). Then, you can use a pseudo-random generator to produce repeated draws from Normal(0,s2) and define y**(i) = y(i) + u*(i). Again, if you run this 100 times, you will have 100 parameter estimates from y1**, ..., y100**.

Amazing.. I was experimenting with a a method just like that one when I saw your reply.
Interesting method that can be applied to any linear/nonlinear method.

By the way since gauss-Newton linearizes the problem in each iteration I should get pretty decent results by making a weighted regression and taking the covariance matrix in the last step. (Like in linear least squares)

1. What is Gauss-Newton method and how does it deal with uncertainty in parameters?

The Gauss-Newton method is an optimization algorithm used for solving non-linear least squares problems. It is used to find the values of parameters that minimize the sum of squared errors between the observed data and the predicted data. To deal with uncertainty in parameters, the Gauss-Newton method uses a local linear approximation of the non-linear function to estimate the parameters.

2. How does the Gauss-Newton method handle noisy data?

The Gauss-Newton method is robust to noisy data as it minimizes the sum of squared errors, which reduces the impact of outliers in the data. Additionally, it uses a local linear approximation, which helps in filtering out the noise and finding the true underlying relationship between the variables.

3. What are the main assumptions of the Gauss-Newton method?

The main assumptions of the Gauss-Newton method include the assumption of a non-linear relationship between the variables and the assumption of normally distributed errors. It also assumes that the parameters can be estimated using a local linear approximation.

4. How does the Gauss-Newton method compare to other optimization algorithms?

The Gauss-Newton method is faster and more efficient than other optimization algorithms, such as the gradient descent method, as it uses a local linear approximation to estimate the parameters. It also converges faster and is less sensitive to the starting values of the parameters.

5. Can the Gauss-Newton method be used for all types of non-linear problems?

No, the Gauss-Newton method is most suitable for problems with a small number of parameters and a well-behaved non-linear relationship between the variables. It may not perform well in cases of highly non-linear relationships or problems with a large number of parameters.