Permutations and cycles - linear algebra

In summary, we are given a permutation \rho in Sym(n) and we want to find the values of n for which \rho is even and \rho^m = I for some odd integer m. We can see that this is true for n = km where k is a natural number.
Kate2010

Homework Statement

Let [tex]\rho[/tex] [tex]\in[/tex]Sym(n), p be prime, r be the remainder when n is divided by p (so 0[tex]\leq[/tex]r<p and n=qp+r for some integer q).

1. Show that [tex]\rho[/tex]^p = [tex]\iota[/tex] iff the cycles of [tex]\rho[/tex] all have lengths 1 or p.

2. Show that if [tex]\rho[/tex]^p = [tex]\iota[/tex] then |Supp([tex]\rho[/tex])| is a multiple of p and |Fix([tex]\rho[/tex])|[tex]\equiv[/tex] r(mod p).

Homework Equations

Fix([tex]\rho[/tex]) := {x|x[tex]\rho[/tex] = x}
Supp([tex]\rho[/tex]) := {x|x[tex]\rho[/tex] [tex]\neq[/tex] x}

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't have many ideas on these at all.

1) If all cycles have length 1 then it is clear that [tex]\rho[/tex]p is the identity.
I don't know what I can deduce from all cycles having length p. The other way around, I can see if we have the identity that all cycles could be length 1, but I don't know how to go about getting length p.

2) I have no idea how to start this.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
When you write a permutation [tex]\rho[/tex], of length n, in terms of cycles, you have:

[tex]\rho = \left(a_1...a_{k_1}\right)\left(a_{k_1}...a_{k_2}\right)...\left(a_{k_i}...a_{k_j}\right)[/tex]

The cycles' lengths must sum to n and, if [tex]\rho^d = I[/tex], then all cycles must have undergone a full rotation after d iterations.

But this implies that d must divide your prime p. Now, what are the possible divisors of p?

As for (2), it's just a translation of the division n = qp + r in terms of the cycles: the cycles oh length p correspond to a factor in qp, and r = 1+1+...+1 (r times) are the cycles of length one.

Thank you so much! I've just started with permutations and as of yet I haven't really grasped it, but I do understand that now.

Another question:

If t1 and t2 are transpositions in Sym(n), then show that t1t2 = I, (t1t2)2 = I or (t1t2)3 = I (I is the identity permutation).

What condition on t1 and t2 determines which of these occurs?

What is the cycle structure of t1t2 in each case?

A transposition is a permutation that exchanges just two elements; in terms of cycles, a transposition has a cycle of length 2, and all the others of length 1.

It's immediate that any transposition t verify t^2=I; it's less immediate that they generate the symmetric group, but they do: any permutation is the product of transpositions.

For any two transpositions t1 and t2, your three cases correspond to:

(1) t1 = t2; this gives t1t2=t2t1=I.

(2) t1 and t2 are disjoint (their 2-cycles don't affect each other); in this case t1t2 is a permutation with exactly two 2-cycles (the others are 1-cycles).

(3) The 2-cycles of t1 and t2 share one common element, so t1t2 has one 3-cycle (and the rest are 1-cycles).

Thank you again!

One last question:

Let [tex]\rho[/tex] be in Sym(n). For which values of n is it true that if [tex]\rho[/tex] is even then [tex]\rho[/tex]^m = I for some odd integer m?

Is this true for n=km where k is a natural number?

:)

1. What is a permutation?

A permutation is a way of arranging a set of objects in a specific order. In linear algebra, a permutation is often represented as a matrix or vector that rearranges the entries of a given vector or matrix.

2. What is a cycle in linear algebra?

In linear algebra, a cycle refers to a specific type of permutation where the elements in a set are rearranged in a circular manner. This means that the last element in the set is moved to the first position, while the other elements are shifted one position to the right. Cycles are often represented using cycle notation, such as (1 2 3) which represents a cycle that moves element 1 to position 2, element 2 to position 3, and element 3 to position 1.

3. How are permutations and cycles related?

Permutations and cycles are different ways of representing the same concept. A permutation can be broken down into a combination of cycles, and a cycle can be expanded into a permutation. This means that every permutation can be represented as a combination of cycles, and every cycle can be expanded into a permutation.

4. What is the difference between a permutation and a transposition?

A transposition is a specific type of permutation that only switches the positions of two elements in a set, while leaving all other elements in their original positions. This means that a transposition is a cycle of length 2, and can be represented as (a b) where a and b are the elements being switched. In contrast, a permutation can rearrange the elements in any order, and is not limited to just switching two elements.

5. How are permutations and cycles used in linear algebra?

In linear algebra, permutations and cycles are used to understand and solve systems of linear equations. They are also used in matrix operations such as matrix multiplication and finding determinants. Permutations and cycles are also used in abstract algebra to study group theory and symmetry.