Could Superluminal Light Speeds Impact Theories on the Universe's Cold Death?

• Thread starter multifaciatus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gain
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential effects of an experiment on the predictions for the end of the universe, specifically in relation to cesium at near absolute zero temperatures. The experiment showed that signals could be passed faster than light, but did not violate special relativity. The implications for the future transmission of light and energy are also discussed.
multifaciatus
What would the suggested effect from the results of this experiment on the predictions for the end of the universe, especially if it was a 'cold death'. The people doing the experiment mentioned that the state of cesium used existed at a near absolute zero temperature. In an older universe, wouldn't the temp be closer to that one and wouldn't there also be a lot more cesium in the future than currently exists? What would this mean that in the future transmission of light ( and other forms of energy) would be much faster than now? :uhh:

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I believe you're talking about the experiments where signals were passed faster than light through a medium exhibiting anomalous dispersion.

The critical thing about this experiment is that while the phase velocity of the signal was faster than light, the group velocity was not. It did not violate special relativity. You cannot, in fact, transmit information faster than light.

- Warren

I don't think I was clear enough. I wasn't thinking about transmitting info. I was just thinking that towards the end of the universe, materials exhibiting anomalous dispersion would be passing around light peaks (phase velocity?) at speeds faster than light thru a vacuum, and i was trying to find something wrong w/ the idea besides significant absorbtion and perhaps the lack of free energy in the universe at that time. I was looking for the implications; if there are any.

1. What is gain assisted superluminality?

Gain assisted superluminality is a phenomenon in which a material with a gain medium is able to amplify light signals beyond the speed of light in vacuum, known as the speed of causality. This allows for faster transmission of information and has potential applications in optical communications and computing.

2. How does gain assisted superluminality work?

Gain assisted superluminality works by using a gain medium, such as a laser, to amplify the light signal. This amplification causes the signal to exceed the speed of light in vacuum, allowing it to travel faster than the speed of causality.

3. Is gain assisted superluminality possible according to the laws of physics?

Yes, gain assisted superluminality is possible according to the laws of physics. While it may seem to contradict Einstein's theory of relativity, it is not violating the principle of causality because the speed of light in a medium is not limited by the speed of light in vacuum.

4. What are the potential applications of gain assisted superluminality?

Some potential applications of gain assisted superluminality include faster optical communications, more efficient optical computing, and improved laser technologies. It could also have applications in quantum information processing and quantum computing.

5. What are the challenges and limitations of gain assisted superluminality?

One of the main challenges and limitations of gain assisted superluminality is the difficulty in achieving and maintaining the necessary conditions for the gain medium to amplify the light signal. Another limitation is the potential for signal distortion and loss of information during the amplification process.