Aero undergrad and Mech grad?

In summary, the person is considering switching majors from Aero to Mech, but is unsure of the pros and cons. They recommend seeking advice from others before making any decisions.
Senerchia
Hello everyone, I was wondering if you all could shed some light on a problem I have been having regarding some life decisions.

My main dilemma is that I am in my second year of college and am as of now an Aero Major, I have taken some majors courses and I really enjoy Aero. But I am starting to realize that I may be narrowing my possibilities too soon too fast. I have often heard that one should study ME as an undergrad and then if they so desire to study AE in grad school. Now the problem is that I have already taken some aero courses, so to switch majors would be somewhat difficult but not impossible. So I was wondering if I could get my BS in AE and then go onto get my MS in ME, I know this is somewhat bassackwards if you will but I was wondering if anyone had done this or knows anyone who has done this. I have heard that Aero and Mech are very similar (hence Aero being a sub forum of the Mech forums here...), as well as graduate Mech programs requiring a BS in ME or in a similar field which I would assume Aero would fall into. So does majoring in Aero and then doing grad work in ME make any sense at all? Or should I do Mech E and then Aero?

Some reasons that I haven't switched already (other than some of the credits not transferring):

-The Aero program at my college is one of the best undergrad programs in the country with lots of research opportunities even at the undergrad level. ME program here is good, but no where near the Aero program

-The ME department at my college has a very bad reputation, while the Aero department has a much better rep.

-I will be taking some ME courses as a part of my Aero major

Thanks for your time

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't tell you much as far as mechanical goes but it is very hard to find an aero/astro job right now unless you have experience, or live on the east or west coast. If you stick with aero get an intership or co-op. I graduated in dec '07 with a bs in astro from Purdue and I still can't find a related job. So for now I'm getting a masters in aerospace. Maybe get a minor in mechanical. Oh and if you do want to switch to mech I hear a lot of aero classes will count as credit towards mech classes.

and any input!

Hi there, it sounds like you are in a tough spot with your major decision. I can definitely understand your hesitation in switching majors, especially if you are already enjoying your Aero courses and have opportunities for research in that field. However, it's important to consider your long-term goals and what will ultimately be the best path for you.

One option you mentioned is getting your BS in Aero and then pursuing your MS in ME. While this may seem backwards, it's not uncommon for students to switch fields or specialize in a different area for their graduate studies. In fact, having a diverse background in both Aero and ME could make you a more well-rounded and competitive candidate for jobs in the future.

It's also worth considering if there are any dual degree programs at your college that combine Aero and ME, or if your college offers a minor in ME that you could pursue along with your Aero major. This could give you the best of both worlds and allow you to explore both areas of study.

Ultimately, the decision should be based on what will make you the most fulfilled and successful in your career. Don't let the difficulty of switching majors hold you back from pursuing your true passions and interests. Good luck!

1. What is the difference between an Aero undergrad and Mech grad degree?

An Aero undergrad degree focuses on the principles of aerodynamics, flight mechanics, and aircraft design, while a Mech grad degree delves deeper into mechanical engineering principles such as thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, and materials science. An Aero degree is more specialized towards the aerospace industry, while a Mech degree can lead to a broader range of career opportunities.

2. Can I pursue an Aero undergrad degree and then switch to a Mech grad program?

Yes, it is possible to switch from an Aero undergrad to a Mech grad program. However, it may require additional coursework to bridge the gap between the two disciplines. It is important to carefully plan your course schedule and seek guidance from an academic advisor to ensure a smooth transition.

3. What are the job prospects for someone with an Aero undergrad and Mech grad degree?

Having both an Aero undergrad and Mech grad degree can open up a wide range of job opportunities in the aerospace industry, including positions in aircraft design, manufacturing, and maintenance. Graduates may also find employment in other industries, such as automotive or renewable energy, due to their strong background in mechanical engineering principles.

4. Is it possible to specialize in a specific area within Aero undergrad and Mech grad?

Yes, many universities offer specialized tracks or concentrations within their Aero undergrad and Mech grad programs. Some common areas of specialization include aerodynamics, structures, propulsion, and control systems. These specialized tracks can provide students with a more focused education and can help prepare them for specific career paths.

5. What skills are necessary for success in an Aero undergrad and Mech grad program?

To succeed in an Aero undergrad and Mech grad program, students should have a strong foundation in math and physics, as well as excellent problem-solving and critical thinking skills. They should also be detail-oriented, able to work well in teams, and have a passion for the aerospace and mechanical engineering fields.