When time slows down for us on Earth, are we traveling closer to the speed of light

In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of time dilation and the question of why time seems to slow down in certain situations, such as when catching a football or experiencing a car accident. While some suggest a psychological explanation, others wonder if there is a physics explanation for this effect. However, the concept of time dilation is only noticeable in different reference frames and does not apply to an individual's own experience of time. The speed of the electromagnetic force, which determines chemical reactions in the body, is invariant in all reference frames. Therefore, time dilation cannot be used to explain the feeling of time slowing down in these situations.
pharmdlb
When I started playing football as a wide receiver I remember several times when the ball was passed to me that time seemed to slow way down and it took forever for the football to get to me.

We know that time slows down as we get closer to the speed of light, but obviously I'm not traveling at any greater speed. So what is causing time to slow down? I've also heard of this time slow down happening when people have a car accident.

Maybe this is more of a psychology question than a physics question, but I'm just wondering if there is a physics explanation for this phenomenon.

Thanks

Science news on Phys.org

Yeah that seems like it's more your mind's interpretation of time, no human can travel anywhere near fast enough to notice time dilation.

pharmdlb said:
When I started playing football as a wide receiver I remember several times when the ball was passed to me that time seemed to slow way down and it took forever for the football to get to me.

We know that time slows down as we get closer to the speed of light, but obviously I'm not traveling at any greater speed. So what is causing time to slow down? I've also heard of this time slow down happening when people have a car accident.

Maybe this is more of a psychology question than a physics question, but I'm just wondering if there is a physics explanation for this phenomenon.

Thanks

There isn't. It isn't even related to relativity, since the proper time doesn't change at any speed.

Zz.

If you were to experience actual time dilation you wouldn't even be able to sense it, because the firing of neurons in your brain would also slow down, and your whole sense of time would be proportional.

You only notice time dilation in other reference frames, so no, this wouldn't be the appropriate explanation. To notice time dilation, you would have to somehow be in a different reference frame than the rest of the world, which of course is not the case.

There is a relation.

In relativity the functions of your body speed up or slow down depending on your relative velocity. This is because the speed of forces (the electric force specifically) in your cells is invariant. A lorentz transformation shows that the path is longer between reference frames.

In a high adrenaline situation the functions in your body also speed up, though it is due to a chemical reaction.

LostConjugate said:
There is a relation.

In relativity the functions of your body speed up or slow down depending on your relative velocity. This is because the speed of forces (the electric force specifically) in your cells is invariant. A lorentz transformation shows that the path is longer between reference frames.

Er.. come again? In this paragraph, you contradict yourself.

If the "speed of forces" is invariant, then it doesn't matter what frames you are in. Yet, you then show that a lorentz transformation shows something different in each reference frame, which means that whatever it is in NOT invariant.

The functions in your body does NOT slow down or speed up, because presumably you are not having an out-of-body experience and you stay in the same reference frame as your body. So your proper time does not change.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Er.. come again? In this paragraph, you contradict yourself.

If the "speed of forces" is invariant, then it doesn't matter what frames you are in. Yet, you then show that a lorentz transformation shows something different in each reference frame, which means that whatever it is in NOT invariant.

The functions in your body does NOT slow down or speed up, because presumably you are not having an out-of-body experience and you stay in the same reference frame as your body. So your proper time does not change.

Zz.

The speed of the electromagnetic force that ultimately determines the chemical reactions in your body is invariant. So to someone in a relative reference frame the distance this force must travel is longer, the speed at which these chemical reactions happens is slower or faster relative to them.

Correct, you do not experience any difference within your reference frame, you think at the rate you think. So if you slow down your chemical reactions enough to live longer, you do not experience a longer life, you just live longer relative to someone in another frame.

LostConjugate said:
The speed of the electromagnetic force that ultimately determines the chemical reactions in your body is invariant. So to someone in a relative reference frame the distance this force must travel is longer, the speed at which these chemical reactions happens is slower or faster relative to them.

Correct, you do not experience any difference within your reference frame, you think at the rate you think. So if you slow down your chemical reactions enough to live longer, you do not experience a longer life, you just live longer relative to someone in another frame.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. The speed of the electromagnetic force (i.e. the speed of light) is always the same in every reference frame. What slows down in an accelerated reference frame is time. And in order for this effect to be noticable when catching a football, the football would have to be thrown in a highly accelerated reference frame, in which case you'd be unable to catch it for reasons unrelated to relativistic effects.

Perhaps you could clarify what you mean.

arunma said:
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. The speed of the electromagnetic force (i.e. the speed of light) is always the same in every reference frame. What slows down in an accelerated reference frame is time. And in order for this effect to be noticable when catching a football, the football would have to be thrown in a highly accelerated reference frame, in which case you'd be unable to catch it for reasons unrelated to relativistic effects.

Perhaps you could clarify what you mean.

Time is just a measurement. You can't say time slows down without a physical explanation.

To simplify things instead of using a human body let's use a light clock. A light clock being two mirrors parallel to each other with light bouncing back and forth between the mirrors, counting one unit of time each time it makes a full cycle.

Now the speed of light is constant in all reference frames. So if you accelerate (in a perpendicular direction to the motion of the light) this clock to a relative reference frame and observe the path of the light ray from your rest reference frame you will see that the length the light travels is longer before it hits each mirror. So the clock relatively slows down. It is precisely because the speed of light is a constant that this is possible. This is why clocks measure "time" as slowing down.

The human body is just a complex light clock.

1. How does time slow down for us on Earth?

Time dilation is a phenomenon predicted by Einstein's theory of relativity, which states that time slows down for objects traveling at high speeds. This means that as we move closer to the speed of light, time will appear to slow down for us.

2. Is it possible for humans to travel at the speed of light?

No, it is not possible for humans to travel at the speed of light. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely and it would require an infinite amount of energy to continue accelerating.

3. How does time dilation affect our perception of time?

Time dilation does not affect our perception of time in our daily lives. It is only noticeable when objects are traveling at extremely high speeds, such as near the speed of light. For example, astronauts on the International Space Station experience time dilation, but it is only measurable by precise instruments.

4. Does time dilation only occur on Earth?

No, time dilation can occur anywhere in the universe. It is a fundamental aspect of Einstein's theory of relativity and applies to all objects in motion, regardless of their location. However, the effects of time dilation are only significant at speeds close to the speed of light.

5. Can we use time dilation to travel through time?

No, time dilation does not allow us to travel through time. While it may appear that time is slowing down for an object traveling at high speeds, time is still passing at a constant rate for that object. Time dilation does not allow us to travel back or forward in time.