Could we even theoretically detect readio signals from extraterrestrial intelligence?

In summary, it is possible that a civilization could create a unique, powerful signal to get through the stellar noise. But I'm not sure it would be an easy task.
kahoon
I mean, several light years from here, is it possible to distinguish between the signals coming from Earth and the massive amount of electromagnetic radiation emitted by our Sun? From a great distance, every solar system must appear dot-like.

Is it possible that civilizations are actually trying to communicate but are unable to do so because their signals are overpowered by their respective suns'?

Space news on Phys.org

I think a civilization advanced enough could create a unique, powerful signal to get through the stellar noise. But I'm no expert...

I'm not sure the 'beacon' approach to signaling is what an advance civilization would do. They'd probably have directed signals at systems and/or planets with probable life.

I'm pretty sure we (humanity) could create a signal that we (humanity) could detect at a distance of some thousands of light years. See, for example, the arecibo message.

I'm less optimistic, nabeshin. Ciphering an intelligient [even terrawatt] signal from background noise in the universe is hugely difficult after a a few tens of light years - and that assumes you know the signal type and frequency for which to search. I'm a big fan of SETI and an optimist, but, it is not an easy task, IMO.

Hmm a filosofical point of view about SETI.
We would call intelligent a creature that cares, comprehends and tries to reach out for the outer space (without built in curiosity one can never grow intelligent)
now reagrding that if we will ever meet any form of life it is very slim chance they will be exactly at the same development stage like us. more likely it will be somewhere between bilion year ahead of us or billion year behind us.
since billion year behind us is called unintelligent, so

if we will ever find any intelligent creature it will be inbetween like us to billion year ahead of us.

now it is widly believed that humans advance exponencially, so after even few hundred years the technological progress is beyond imagination (harnessing, directing gravity for e.g.)

now statistically if there is an intelligent life they most likely are WAY WAY WAY ahead of us and thus the means of communication are also ahead of us,
they can borth receive week signals, and transmit superpowerfull signals
they should be detectable easily
the absence of this means - they don't want to be detected or they don't exist. both are frightening.

sorry for being filosofical

Likely or not, I think we can all agree that it's possible. What if the signal sent used a massive antenna array planet-wide, with our full energy production? WE might not do that, but perhaps a doomed, or moving civilization might?

1. How do we detect radio signals from extraterrestrial intelligence?

The most common method used to detect radio signals from extraterrestrial intelligence is through the use of radio telescopes. These telescopes are designed to receive and amplify radio signals from space, and can detect signals from billions of light years away.

2. What type of signals are we looking for?

We are primarily looking for narrow-band signals, which are characterized by a specific frequency and bandwidth. These types of signals are not typically produced by natural sources, and are more likely to be a sign of extraterrestrial intelligence.

3. What are the challenges in detecting these signals?

One of the main challenges in detecting radio signals from extraterrestrial intelligence is the vastness of space and the sheer amount of noise that can interfere with the signals. Additionally, the signals may be very weak by the time they reach Earth, making them difficult to distinguish from background noise.

4. Have we ever detected any potential signals from extraterrestrial intelligence?

There have been several instances where potential signals from extraterrestrial intelligence have been detected, but none have been confirmed. The most famous example is the "Wow! Signal" detected in 1977, which is still considered a potential candidate for an extraterrestrial signal.

5. What would be the implications of detecting signals from extraterrestrial intelligence?

If we were to successfully detect and confirm signals from extraterrestrial intelligence, it would have profound implications for our understanding of the universe and our place in it. It could potentially open up new avenues for communication and collaboration with other intelligent beings, and could also lead to advancements in technology and science.