Pressure distribution of buoyancy force

In summary: The 'rho' term in the equation is the density of the fluid. The height is the point at which you wish to know the pressure referenced from the top of the fluid surface.
flyingbird
Let's say we have a solid cylinder which is fully submerged in water or any fluid having density lower than of cylinder's density. I want to find out how can we convert the buoyancy force in terms of pressure. Actually I am doing FE analysis of this kind of problem and software allows to apply pressure loads only. How can we find out the buoyancy pressure distribution along the radial hight of the cylinder. Cylinder is kept in horizontal position just as a submarine in water.

Thanks
FB

Engineering news on Phys.org
flyingbird said:
Let's say we have a solid cylinder which is fully submerged in water or any fluid having density lower than of cylinder's density. I want to find out how can we convert the buoyancy force in terms of pressure. Actually I am doing FE analysis of this kind of problem and software allows to apply pressure loads only. How can we find out the buoyancy pressure distribution along the radial hight of the cylinder. Cylinder is kept in horizontal position just as a submarine in water.

Thanks
FB

The resultant force from the pressure acting on the surface of the body is the buoyant force.

The pressure at any point in a fluid is equal to [itex] \rho gh [/itex].

CS

stewartcs said:
The resultant force from the pressure acting on the surface of the body is the buoyant force.

The pressure at any point in a fluid is equal to [itex] \rho gh [/itex].

CS

Which density we have to use here?
is it difference between two densities?
And what hight will be used here? what is the reference point?
I have tried this, I don't think it is a correct way to do it.

flyingbird said:
Which density we have to use here?
is it difference between two densities?
And what hight will be used here? what is the reference point?
I have tried this, I don't think it is a correct way to do it.

The 'rho' term in the equation is the density of the fluid. The height is the point at which you wish to know the pressure referenced from the top of the fluid surface.

CS

1. What is the pressure distribution of buoyancy force?

The pressure distribution of buoyancy force refers to how the force of buoyancy is distributed over the surface of an object immersed in a fluid. This distribution is dependent on the shape and size of the object, as well as the density and viscosity of the fluid.

2. How does the pressure distribution of buoyancy force affect floating objects?

The pressure distribution of buoyancy force determines the stability and equilibrium of floating objects. If the force is evenly distributed, the object will remain stable and float. However, if the force is unevenly distributed, the object may tip or sink.

3. What factors affect the pressure distribution of buoyancy force?

The pressure distribution of buoyancy force is affected by the density and viscosity of the fluid, as well as the shape and size of the object. The position and orientation of the object in the fluid also play a role in the distribution of the force.

4. How is the pressure distribution of buoyancy force calculated?

The pressure distribution of buoyancy force can be calculated by using Archimedes' principle, which states that the buoyant force on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object. This calculation takes into account the density of the object, the density of the fluid, and the volume of the displaced fluid.

5. Why is understanding the pressure distribution of buoyancy force important?

Understanding the pressure distribution of buoyancy force is important in various fields such as naval architecture, aeronautics, and engineering. It allows for the design and construction of stable and efficient floating structures, as well as the prediction of the behavior of objects in fluid environments.