High Temperature at the Bottom: Why is Anus Temperature Higher During Fever?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of fever and the varying methods of measuring body temperature. It is mentioned that the temperature in the anus is considered to be the most accurate, while other body parts such as the mouth, ear, and armpit can be affected by external factors. The conversation also references articles on Wikipedia and Medical News Today for more information on fever. Additionally, there is a humorous remark about getting an accurate temperature reading by being "elbow-deep in the alimentary canal."
smslca
I got fever, and due to the curiosity to know what is fever and on studying what is fever I got a doubt.
why does temperature is high at anus when compared to other body parts at the time of fever.

Biology news on Phys.org

It is not. It is just better to measure temperature there, as skin surface is usually colder than the temperature inside of the body, so the reading can be wrong. Temperature in the anus is as close to the real body temperature as possible. Other common places used when measuring temp are mouth (can be cooled down by breathing or modified by something you ate), ear - not bad, although exposed, so can be a little bit colder than the inside, and armpit - same problem as with ear.

Borek gave the answer, read the rest of his post.

yeah I got it. Thanks. At first I think reading is wrong means what I read is wrong, so I made the second reply. Now I understand It is Thermometer reading.

I have problem in reading and writing and speaking english. Because of that I got a misunderstanding.

Personally, I think you're not getting an accurate reading unless you're elbow-deep in the alimentary canal. :biggrin:

*NOTE: THIS IS A JOKE*

nismaratwork said:
Personally, I think you're not getting an accurate reading unless you're elbow-deep in the alimentary canal. :biggrin:

*NOTE: THIS IS A JOKE*

good thing you put that note about the joke. I've been reading around and was really serious about the stuff on this forum. This joke's a good one though. :D

1. How do you measure fever temperature?

Fever temperature can be measured using a thermometer. The most common method is to place the thermometer under the tongue or in the armpit. Other methods include using an ear thermometer or a temporal artery thermometer.

2. What is considered a fever temperature?

A fever temperature is typically considered to be anything above 100.4°F (38°C) when measured orally. However, this may vary depending on the person's age and other factors.

3. What is the most accurate way to measure fever temperature?

Rectal temperature measurement is considered to be the most accurate method for measuring fever temperature. However, this method may not be suitable for everyone, especially young children.

4. Can external factors affect fever temperature measurements?

Yes, external factors such as hot or cold drinks, smoking, and recent physical activity can affect fever temperature measurements. It is recommended to avoid these factors for at least 15 minutes before taking a temperature reading.

5. How often should fever temperature be measured?

The frequency of measuring fever temperature depends on the individual's condition and the severity of the fever. It is recommended to monitor fever temperature every 4-6 hours and seek medical attention if the temperature exceeds 102°F (39°C).