.Books on Quantum Confinement and Consequences

In summary, the conversation discusses a person's coursework in nano science, specifically on quantum confinement and its various forms. They are seeking recommendations for books that explain these topics with mathematics. The suggestion is to consult their university syllabus and professors for reference books.
mkbh_10
Hello guys , since I was unable to post this in Learning Materials section so posting it here , mod move it there , i have taken nano science in my Msc final and some of my coursework is : quantum confinement & consequences , quantum wells,quantum wires,quantum dots, artificial atoms, electronic structure from bulk to dot,electronic structure calculations by tight binding , empirical potential, & density functional methods .

Could you suggest books regarding these topics which explain in detail with mathematics .

Thanx in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
I believe that in any university a syllabus (or outline of subjects covered) would be given to you and they usually stick to it! Have you looked at it? In addition professors at university also provide you some reference books..Therefore i strongly suggest you to contact your lecturers.
hope it helps.

1. What is quantum confinement?

Quantum confinement is a phenomenon that occurs when a particle is confined to a space that is smaller than its characteristic wavelength. This results in the quantization of the particle's energy levels, leading to unique properties and behavior.

2. How does quantum confinement affect materials?

Quantum confinement can significantly alter the physical and chemical properties of materials. This is because the confined particles have different energy levels and interactions compared to their bulk counterparts. For example, materials with quantum confinement may exhibit size-dependent optical, electronic, and magnetic properties.

3. What are the consequences of quantum confinement?

The consequences of quantum confinement can vary depending on the material and its size. Some potential consequences include enhanced luminescence, increased energy storage capacity, and improved mechanical strength. However, there can also be negative consequences such as increased surface reactivity and decreased thermal stability.

4. How is quantum confinement studied?

Scientists use various techniques to study quantum confinement, including experimental methods such as transmission electron microscopy and spectroscopy, as well as theoretical models and simulations. These approaches help researchers understand the behavior and properties of confined particles at the quantum level.

5. What are some real-world applications of quantum confinement?

Quantum confinement has numerous practical applications, particularly in the fields of electronics, energy, and medicine. For example, quantum dots, which are small semiconductor particles with quantum confinement, are used in displays, solar cells, and medical imaging. Other applications include quantum wires for nanoscale electrical devices and quantum wells for high-efficiency lasers.