What is the derivation for the path integral formulation of quantum mechanics?

In summary, the conversation is about the derivation of the solution to the Schrodinger equation in terms of a unitary operator and the use of intermediary time intervals. The goal is to get the integrand exp(-iS/hbar) as n approaches infinity. The known form of the time-evolution operator must be used at some point, and the large number of time steps allows for a linear approximation for time evolution. The conversation also discusses the use of a time-independent Hamiltonian and the relationship between the action and Hamiltonian formulations.
WiFO215
I'm not quite satisfied by the derivation I've found in Sakurai (Modern Quantum Mechanics) and was trying to 'derive' it myself. I'd like some help to seal the deal. I've described below what I've done. Please tell me where to go from there.

I know the solution to the Schrodinger equation can be given in terms of a unitary operator,

[tex] \left| \psi(t) \right\rangle = U(t,t_{0})\left| \psi(t_{0}) \right\rangle [/tex]

[tex] \left\langle x \left| \psi(t) \right\rangle = \left\langle x \right| U(t,t_{0})\left| \psi(t_{0}) \rangle [/tex]

which describes time evolution.

I know that I can introduce intermediary time intervals, thus splitting the above term

[tex] \langle x \left| \psi(t) \right\rangle = \int dx_{0} \left\langle x \right| U(t,t_{0}) \left| x_{0} \rangle \left\langle x_{0} \right| \psi(t_{0}) \rangle[/tex]

I here consider

[tex] \left\langle x \right| U(t,t_{0}) \right| x_{0} \rangle = \left\langle x,t \right| x_{0},t_{0} \rangle [/tex]

as the Green's function of this operation.

Now, splitting the interval between x and x_{0} by introducing n points [tex]x_{1}, \dots , x_{n} [/tex] such that

[tex] \left\langle x,t \right| x_{0},t_{0} \rangle = \int dx_{1} \int dx_{2} \dots \int dx_{n} \left\langle x_{1},t_{1} \right| x_{0},t_{0} \rangle \left\langle x_{2},t_{2} \right| x_{1},t_{1} \rangle \dots \left\langle x,t \right| x_{n},t_{n} \rangle [/tex]

So far so good. Now comes the crunch. How does everyone seem to get

[tex]exp(\frac{-iS}{\hbar})[/tex]

as the integrand as they let

[tex]n \rightarrow \infty [/tex].

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You'll need to use the known form of the time-evolution operator at some point to get the Hamiltonian to appear. The point of the large number of time steps is that you can use a linear approximation for time evolution in each timestep.
Or see chap3 here for example: http://www.tcm.phy.cam.ac.uk/~bds10/tp3.html

I see. Suppose for simplicity's sake, I substitute the time evolution operator with some time independent Hamiltonian [tex]\hat{H}[/tex].

[tex]U = exp(\frac{-\hat{H}t}{\hbar})[/tex]

For some very small time interval, say [tex] \epsilon [/tex]

[tex]U = exp(\frac{-i\hat{H}\epsilon}{\hbar})[/tex]

From here, we use [tex]\delta \hat{S} = \hat{H}\epsilon[/tex]?

so [tex]exp(\frac{-i\delta \hat{S} }{\hbar}) = exp(\frac{-i\hat{H}}{\hbar})[/tex]

Something like that? Now each of these exponentials, when multiplied, adds up the [tex] \delta S [/tex] in the exponent to give you S over the entire path?

Last edited:
I think it's more subtle than that. The action in the Hamiltonian formulation is
[tex]S = \int p\dot q - H(p,q)[/tex] and the first step you should arrive at is a phase-space path integral, with integrals over momentum and position. To reach the Lagrangian formulation, which is an integral over all classical paths in configuration space, you'll need to integrate out the quadratic momentum terms. You might consider splitting the Hamiltonian into a kinetic and potential part.

I just used the fact that
[tex]\frac{\delta S}{\delta t} = H[/tex]

So we get, for really small [tex] \delta t [/tex]
[tex] \delta S = H\delta t [/tex]

1. What is the path integral formulation?

The path integral formulation is a mathematical framework used to describe quantum mechanical systems. It was developed by physicist Richard Feynman and is based on the idea that the probability amplitude of a particle moving from one point to another is equal to the sum of all possible paths the particle could take.

2. What is the significance of the path integral formulation?

The path integral formulation allows for a more intuitive understanding of quantum mechanics, as it considers all possible paths of a particle rather than just the most probable one. It also allows for the calculation of transition amplitudes and expectation values in quantum systems.

3. How is the path integral formulation used in physics?

The path integral formulation is used in various fields of physics, including particle physics, condensed matter physics, and quantum field theory. It is particularly useful in calculating Feynman diagrams, which represent the interactions between particles in quantum field theory.

4. What are the limitations of the path integral formulation?

The path integral formulation can be computationally intensive and difficult to apply to complex systems. It also does not take into account the effects of gravity and thus cannot be used in theories of quantum gravity.

5. Can the path integral formulation be applied to classical systems?

Yes, the path integral formulation can be extended to classical systems, where it is known as the Wiener integral. It can be used to calculate classical probabilities and has applications in statistical mechanics and stochastic processes.