Harmonic potential, quantum mechanics

You mean |C|^2 \int _{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-\sqrt{\frac{mk}{\hbar^2}}x^2}dx=1, right?Remember, e^{ab}\neq e^ae^b, and double check your value of \alpha again.As for evaluating the integral, start with a substitution \overline{x}=\sqrt{\alpha}x, then either look up the result of the integral \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-\overline{x}^2}d\overline{x}, or calculate it yourself using the following trick:\int_{-\infty}^{\
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Consider a particle of mass m in a unidimensional harmonic potential of the form [tex]V(x)=\frac{kx^2}{2}[/tex].
1)Show that a function of the form [tex]\Psi (x)=Ce^{-\alpha x^2}[/tex] is an eigenfunction of the time-independent Schrödinger's equation. Calculate the values of E, C and [tex]\alpha[/tex].
This solution corresponds to the minimum energy of the unidimensional harmonic oscillator.
2)Verify the uncertainty principle for a particle that have this state of energy.
3)From the uncertainty principle, estimate the the ground state energy for a unidimensional harmonic oscillator and compare it with the value obtained in 1).

Homework Equations

[tex]-\frac{\hbar ^2}{2m} \frac{d ^2 \Psi}{dx^2} + V(x)\Psi = E \Psi[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

What I've done is calculate the first 2 derivatives of the given [tex]\Psi[/tex], with respect to x.
It gave me [tex]\Psi ' (x)=2x \alpha C e^{-\alpha x^2}[/tex] and [tex]\Psi '' (x)=-2\alpha C e^{-\alpha x^2} (1+2x^2 \alpha)[/tex].
Then replacing [tex]\Psi ''(x)[/tex] and [tex]\Psi (x)[/tex] into Schrödinger's equation, I reached [tex]-\frac{\hbar ^2}{2m} (1+2x^2 \alpha)+E-\frac{kx^2}{2}=0[/tex] if I assume [tex]C\neq 0[/tex] which I think is fair.
Now I'm totally stuck. I've isolated E from the equation, which gave me [tex]E=\frac{kx^2}{2}+\frac{\hbar ^2}{m}(1+2 x^2 \alpha)[/tex] and I can recognize the potential energy part and what would be the kinetic energy?
The minimum kinetic energy would be when x=0, in this case the potential energy is also minimum (worth 0J), and it gives the ground state energy [tex]\frac{\hbar ^2}{m}[/tex]. But I'm afraid, I've no idea what [tex]\alpha[/tex] and [tex]C[/tex] might be.
Maybe I can get C from a normalization? That is, by setting [tex]C^2\int _{-\infty}^{\infty} |e^{-\alpha x^2}|^2 dx=1[/tex]. But it seems I have 2 unknowns and 1 equation...

I would like to know if I'm doing things right and ideas on how to proceed a bit further. Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation

[tex]
-\frac{\hbar ^2}{2m} (1+2x^2 \alpha)+E-\frac{kx^2}{2}=0
[/tex]

isn't quite right, since you left out a numerical factor from [tex]\Psi''[/tex]. Assuming that you can recheck your algebra, what you'll find is some expression

[tex] E = M + N x^2[/tex]

where M,N are numerical factors given in terms of [tex]\hbar, m, \alpha[/tex], etc. For E to be an eigenvalue it must be independent of x, so if you can solve N =0, then E will be an eigenvalue. This will determine [tex]\alpha[/tex]. Then as you correctly suspect, C can be determined from normalizing [tex]\Psi[/tex].

Thank you fzero for your help.
Ok, I've done a small error in calculating [tex]\Psi '' (x)[/tex]. Now it gives me [tex]\Psi '' (x)=2C \alpha e^{- \alpha x^2} (2x^2 \alpha -1)[/tex].
Replacing into Schrödinger's equation, I get [tex]2Ce^{-\alpha x^2} \left [ \alpha (2x^2-1) +\frac{m}{\hbar} \left ( E-\frac{kx^2}{2} \right ) \right ]=0[/tex]. I assume I can divide by [tex]2Ce^{-\alpha x^2}[/tex] and I'm still left with a dependence of x...
Now I don't see what I'm doing wrong.
Edit: nevermind, I guess it's right.
Edit 2: I get [tex]\alpha =\sqrt {\frac{mk}{4 \hbar}}[/tex]. I'll work on C now.

Last edited:
fluidistic said:
It gave me [tex]\Psi ' (x)=2x \alpha C e^{-\alpha x^2}[/tex] and [tex]\Psi '' (x)=-2\alpha C e^{-\alpha x^2} (1+2x^2 \alpha)[/tex].
Be careful with those negative signs :wink:

gabbagabbahey said:
Be careful with those negative signs :wink:
Yeah... I thought I could do the algebra in my head, until someone pointed me out I had made an error. I then redone the algebra with much more care, writing down all the steps on a sheet of paper and I think I got it right now.

Hmm, in order to get C, I have that [tex]C^2 e^{-\sqrt{\frac{mk}{\hbar}}} \int _{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{x^2}dx=1[/tex].
Just looking at the integrand, is it a famous integrand that is known not have a closed form primitive? If so, what do I do?!

fluidistic said:
Yeah... I thought I could do the algebra in my head, until someone pointed me out I had made an error. I then redone the algebra with much more care, writing down all the steps on a sheet of paper and I think I got it right now.

Hmm, in order to get C, I have that [tex]C^2 e^{-\sqrt{\frac{mk}{\hbar}}} \int _{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{x^2}dx=1[/tex].
Just looking at the integrand, is it a famous integrand that is known not have a closed form primitive? If so, what do I do?!

You still have a sign problem, because

[tex] \int _{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{x^2}dx[/tex]

does not converge. The Gaussian integral

[tex] \int _{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2}dx = \sqrt{\pi}.[/tex]

does converge.

Edit: Oh

[tex]
C^2 e^{-\sqrt{\frac{mk}{\hbar}}} \int _{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{x^2}dx=1
[/tex]

seems to be the result of some dodgy manipulations of the exponential.

[tex]e^{-\sqrt{\frac{mk}{\hbar}}x^2} \neq e^{-\sqrt{\frac{mk}{\hbar}}} e^{x^2}.[/tex]

You want to make a change of variable

[tex] u^2 = \sqrt{\frac{mk}{\hbar}}x^2[/tex]

in order to do the integral.

fzero said:
You still have a sign problem, because

[tex] \int _{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{x^2}dx[/tex]

does not converge. The Gaussian integral

[tex] \int _{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2}dx = \sqrt{\pi}.[/tex]

does converge.

Oh right. Even worse than that, I'm making other errors. I have [tex]C^2 \int _{-\infty}^{\infty} |e^{-\sqrt{\frac{mk}{4\hbar}}x^2}|^2 dx=1[/tex].
I'll try to finish this out.

fluidistic said:

You mean [tex]|C|^2 \int _{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-\sqrt{\frac{mk}{\hbar^2}}x^2}dx=1[/tex], right?

Remember, [itex]e^{ab}\neq e^ae^b[/itex], and double check your value of [itex]\alpha[/itex] again.

As for evaluating the integral, start with a substitution [itex]\overline{x}=\sqrt{\alpha}x[/itex], then either look up the result of the integral [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-\overline{x}^2}d\overline{x}[/tex], or calculate it yourself using the following trick:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-\overline{x}^2}d\overline{x}=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-\overline{y}^2}d\overline{y}[/tex]

So...

[tex]\begin{aligned}\left(\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-\overline{x}^2}d\overline{x}\right)^2 &= \left(\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-\overline{x}^2}d\overline{x}\right)\left(\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-\overline{y}^2}d\overline{y}\right) \\ &= \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-\overline{x}^2-\overline{y}^2}d\overline{x} d\overline{y} \\ &= \int_{0}^{\infty}\int_0^{2\pi}e^{-\overline{r}^2}\overline{r}d\overline{r}d\overline{\theta}\end{aligned}[/tex]

fluidistic said:
Oh right. Even worse than that, I'm making other errors. I have [tex]C^2 \int _{-\infty}^{\infty} |e^{-\sqrt{\frac{mk}{4\hbar}}x^2}|^2 dx=1[/tex].
I'll try to finish this out.

I edited my last post to point out an error you seem to have made. Just posting so that you don't miss it as it will save you some time.

Ok thanks guys. I can't believe I made this error with the exponential, I wasn't even tired! Thanks for the tips to solve the integral, I will try them.
I triple checked my value for [tex]\alpha[/tex] and I still get the same error.
Following post #2's notation, I think my value for N is wrong. Because it seems to lead to my value for [tex]\alpha[/tex]. My N is worth [tex]\frac{k}{2}-\frac{2\alpha ^2 \hbar}{m}[/tex]. And as said, I solved for N=0 in order to get [tex]\alpha[/tex].
I really don't see my error for [tex]\alpha[/tex]... how did you get [tex]\alpha =\sqrt {\frac{mk}{\hbar}}[/tex]?
Oh now I see another error I made. Ok I redo everything from scratch.
Edit: done. I get [tex]\alpha = \frac{\sqrt {mk}}{2\hbar}[/tex]. Is this possible?

Last edited:
fluidistic said:
Edit: done. I get [tex]\alpha = \frac{\sqrt {mk}}{2\hbar}[/tex]. Is this possible?
Yeah, that's right.

1. What is harmonic potential in quantum mechanics?

Harmonic potential is a type of potential energy function that is commonly used in quantum mechanics to describe the energy of a particle in a confined space, such as a harmonic oscillator. It is characterized by a parabolic shape and is also known as the "spring potential" due to its similarity to the potential energy of a spring.

2. How does harmonic potential affect the behavior of particles?

Harmonic potential creates a restoring force that causes particles to oscillate around a central point. In quantum mechanics, this leads to quantized energy levels and the phenomenon of zero-point energy, where particles have a minimum energy even at the lowest possible energy state.

3. What is the equation for harmonic potential in quantum mechanics?

The equation for harmonic potential is V(x) = (1/2)kx^2, where V(x) is the potential energy at a given position x, and k is the spring constant. In quantum mechanics, this equation is often used to describe the potential energy of a harmonic oscillator.

4. How is harmonic potential related to the Schrödinger equation?

Harmonic potential is often used in the Schrödinger equation, which is the fundamental equation of quantum mechanics. The harmonic potential term is included in the potential energy function in the Schrödinger equation, allowing it to describe the behavior of particles in harmonic systems.

5. Can harmonic potential be applied to real-world systems?

Yes, harmonic potential is commonly used to model various physical systems, such as molecular vibrations, atomic energy levels, and the behavior of particles in potential wells. It is a useful tool in understanding and predicting the behavior of quantum particles in a wide range of systems.