Limits of Frame Dragging: Can Objects Create Their Own Event Horizons?

In summary, objects smaller than black holes, by mass can still drag space along with their rotation. This causes a disturbance in space called Frame Dragging which could eventually remove an object from our universe.
tkav1980
Objects smaller than black holes, by mass can still drag space along with their rotation. I picture this like a plate of Spaghetti there the pasta is radiating out from the center of the plate. But let's say its rubbery spaghetti and can stratch. And its attached at one end to the outer egde of the plate. So you twirl the pasta in the canter causing the pasta to "swirl" around the central mass. Well when a body does this to space, like our sun, Why doesn't it pull space into a complete loop around itself and in effect create an event horizon? Is there some measure of "slip" or lack of "friction" between space and the star that limits this dragging effect to an upper limit, relative to the objects mass?

I would think that if a large object looped space around on itself it would in essence remove itself from our universe in the sense that no information can come from or to that object again. Doesnt that mean our universe ould be incomplete and predictability would essentially go out the window?

Sorry my questions are so elementary. I am not a Physicist just a fan of it.

Physics news on Phys.org
tkav1980 said:
Objects smaller than black holes, by mass can still drag space along with their rotation.
Your statement seem to imply you think that black holes are black holes due to their mass this is not correct. An object is (or becomes) a black hole is when the object's area is smaller than 4 times the area representing its mass. So the ratio is important the absolute value of mass is not significant.

tkav1980 said:
I picture this like a plate of Spaghetti there the pasta is radiating out from the center of the plate. But let's say its rubbery spaghetti and can stratch. And its attached at one end to the outer egde of the plate. So you twirl the pasta in the canter causing the pasta to "swirl" around the central mass. Well when a body does this to space, like our sun, Why doesn't it pull space into a complete loop around itself and in effect create an event horizon? Is there some measure of "slip" or lack of "friction" between space and the star that limits this dragging effect to an upper limit, relative to the objects mass?

I would think that if a large object looped space around on itself it would in essence remove itself from our universe in the sense that no information can come from or to that object again. Doesnt that mean our universe ould be incomplete and predictability would essentially go out the window?
It is not quite like that. Check the river model by Andrew Hamilton, the second part deals with rotating black holes, there is math but the document is still interesting without the math.

http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0411060

Passionflower said:
Your statement seem to imply you think that black holes are black holes due to their mass this is not correct. An object is (or becomes) a black hole is when the object's area is smaller than 4 times the area representing its mass. So the ratio is important the absolute value of mass is not significant.
I worded That wrong. I meant it as a point of reference of mass. I was thinking of something much more massive than the sun.

It is not quite like that. Check the river model by Andrew Hamilton, the second part deals with rotating black holes, there is math but the document is still interesting without the math.

http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0411060

Thank you. That helped immensily.

I think my question may be beyond my level of comprehension. Or rather my understanding of the paper I read on rotating black holes, that lead me to a paper on Frame dragging. Admittedly, i had no choice but to skip ofer the math. I fear that is my problem.

tkav1980 said:
I think my question may be beyond my level of comprehension. Or rather my understanding of the paper I read on rotating black holes, that lead me to a paper on Frame dragging. Admittedly, i had no choice but to skip ofer the math. I fear that is my problem.
Even with the math it is very hard to understand. :)

1. What is frame dragging?

Frame dragging, also known as the Lense-Thirring effect, is a phenomenon in which the rotation of a massive object in space causes the surrounding spacetime to be dragged along with it. This effect was first predicted by Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity.

2. How does frame dragging occur?

Frame dragging occurs due to the warping of spacetime by massive rotating objects. The rotation creates a "twist" in the fabric of spacetime, causing nearby objects to be pulled along with it. This effect is similar to how a spoon can create a whirlpool in a cup of coffee.

3. What is the significance of frame dragging?

The frame dragging effect is of great significance in understanding the nature of gravity and spacetime. It has been confirmed through various experiments and observations, providing further support for Einstein's theory of general relativity. It also has practical applications, such as in the design of satellites and their orbits.

4. Can frame dragging be observed?

Yes, frame dragging can be observed through various experiments and observations. One of the most famous examples is the Gravity Probe B mission, which was launched by NASA in 2004. This mission measured the frame dragging effect caused by Earth's rotation with great accuracy.

5. Are there any other effects similar to frame dragging?

Yes, there are other effects similar to frame dragging, such as the geodetic effect and the Shapiro time delay. These effects also stem from Einstein's theory of general relativity and are related to the warping of spacetime by massive objects.