Moment of Inertia of Flywheel

In summary, the question involves finding the constant torque required to bring an engine's flywheel up to an angular speed of 400 rev/min in a time of 8.00s, starting from rest. Using the equations W=Wo+αt and T=αI, the solution is found to be 13.0895 N*m. There is no need to multiply the time by 60 seconds as shown in a different solution found online.
kk727

Homework Statement

The flywheel of an engine has a moment of inertia 2.50 (kg)m^2 about its rotation axis.
What constant torque is required to bring it up to an angular speed of 400 rev/min in a time of 8.00s, starting from rest?Time (t) =8.00 sec
Ang Velocity (W) = 400 rev/min
Moment of Inertia (I) = 2.50 kg m^2

Homework Equations

W=Wo+αt
T = αI

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I converted the 400 rev/min to rad/sec.
400 * 2pi/60sec = 41.8876 rad/sec

I then plugged everything into the first equation to solve for angular acceleration.
41.8876 rad/sec = 0 + α(8 sec)
α = 5.2358 rad/sec^2

I then found torque using T=αI.
T=(5.2358)(2.50)
T=13.0895 N*m

Now, I thought that was the answer, so I tried looking up the question online to verify it. I found this:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101018171042AAmoOu0

I followed the same step process, but my only question is this -

From Yahoo Answers website...w (final) = w (initial) + (c) x time (t)
15pi= 0 + c(8.10x60seconds)
c= 0.0969

Why did that person multiply the time by 60 seconds? I did everything the same as them, except for this. Can someone explain why?

Physics news on Phys.org
For no apparent reason. Your solution is correct; his isn't.

Hahaha, okay, it totally confused me and made me doubt everything that I did...thanks for the verification! :)

1. What is the moment of inertia of a flywheel?

The moment of inertia of a flywheel is a measure of its resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is represented by the symbol I and is calculated by multiplying the mass of the flywheel by the square of its radius.

2. Why is the moment of inertia important for a flywheel?

The moment of inertia is important for a flywheel because it determines how much energy is required to change the rotational speed of the flywheel. A larger moment of inertia means more energy is needed to accelerate or decelerate the flywheel.

3. How is the moment of inertia of a flywheel affected by its shape?

The moment of inertia of a flywheel is affected by its shape because it depends on the distribution of mass around the axis of rotation. A flywheel with more mass concentrated near the axis will have a smaller moment of inertia compared to a flywheel with the same mass but a larger radius.

4. How does the moment of inertia of a flywheel affect its performance?

The moment of inertia directly affects the performance of a flywheel. A flywheel with a larger moment of inertia will have a greater capacity to store and release energy, making it more effective in applications such as energy storage or smoothing out fluctuations in rotational motion.

5. How can the moment of inertia of a flywheel be increased or decreased?

The moment of inertia of a flywheel can be increased by increasing its mass or its radius. It can be decreased by reducing its mass or its radius. Changing the shape of the flywheel can also affect its moment of inertia, as long as the mass and radius are kept constant.