What does a Deaf person sound like in their own head?

In summary, people who are born deaf or blind tend to think in very elaborate visual ways. People with hearing disabilities find the jokes to be much funnier if the person being joked about is also the jokester. Deaf people are physically stronger than most people.
Entheos
So what does a person, born deaf, sound like in his/her own head?

I know what I sound like in my head. I wonder what these people sound like.

Do they think in visual's? And if that's the case what does a Blind and Deaf person sound like or see like in his/her head?

:rofl:

Physics news on Phys.org
People who were born completely deaf do not "hear" themselves, they tend to think in very elaborate visual ways. I have been told that people who are both deaf and blind tend to think of everything in terms of feel.

I can't even imagine living a life like that, not that its a bad thing, I just don't know how to think of the world without sights/sounds.

If a deaf person has to go to court, is it still called a hearing? :confused:

Thats harsh.

And if a mute gets arrested, do the cops still say "...you have the right to remain silent."

<sorry, bad joke...I'm off>

Gokul43201 said:
And if a mute gets arrested, do the cops still say "...you have the right to remain silent."

<sorry, bad joke...I'm off>

I doubt that is the case. My experience with the blind has lead me to believe that they are not sensitive to the word "see," which comes up all the time--more than you might suppose. Things like, "Don't you see the point?" "I will see you tomorrow." "We will see about that." So, I assume the deaf are in the same situation, i.e., they don't want you to be so uptight that you don't relax and "Just talk like you usually do."

Last edited:
Bone-conduction can allow one to sense through the skull frequencies up to 100,000 Hz. Some hearing aids (fixed against bone) are based on such a phenomenon for the normally audible range.

I have a hearing disability, and I make jokes about it all the time.

Some people try to, but half or most of the time they are terrible. I tell them they are stupid, and then I make a personal joke about them, so they shut up next time. :rofl:

Think about it. A racist joke is funnier if and only if the race being made fun of is also the race of the joker. This applies to everything.

In the end, be relaxed. If someone with a disability has problems with certain things, leave them alone since that is probably what they want.

Note: I still pick up attractive ladies regardless of having a hearing aid. I was surprised myself. :biggrin:

One of the great Romeos in my class at Yale was a man who was hearing-impaired. He played water polo (one tough sport) without his hearing aids!

Most deaf folks I have met are physically stronger than other people. In high school I remember Teddy, a very gentle black person, poor as a church mouse, getting signed the N-word. He picked up the offender (over his head, as it goes) and threw him down, breaking the signer's arm.

1. What does a Deaf person experience when they think or dream?

Deaf people may experience their thoughts and dreams through visual images, sign language, or written words rather than sounds. This varies from person to person and depends on their individual communication and thinking styles.

2. Do Deaf people hear voices in their head?

It is a common misconception that all Deaf people do not hear anything at all. Some Deaf individuals may have residual hearing and may hear sounds or voices in their head. However, for those who are completely Deaf, they may not experience sounds in their head but can still have inner monologues and thoughts.

3. Can Deaf people "hear" their own thoughts?

Deaf people can still have inner thoughts and dialogues, but they may not necessarily hear them in the same way as hearing individuals. Some Deaf people may "see" their thoughts through visual images or "feel" them through physical sensations rather than hearing them as sounds.

4. Do Deaf people think in sign language?

Not all Deaf people use sign language as their primary means of communication. Some may use written or spoken language, while others may use a combination of different communication methods. Therefore, it is not accurate to say that all Deaf people think in sign language.

5. How do Deaf people communicate with themselves?

Deaf people communicate with themselves in various ways, depending on their individual communication preferences and abilities. This could include visualizing sign language, writing, or even lip-reading their own thoughts. Some Deaf people may also use technology such as text-to-speech software to communicate with themselves.