Calculating Work Done for a Box on Horizontal Floor

In summary, the work done when a 182 kg box is drawn with a constant speed of 21 m along a horizontal concrete floor, with a kinetic friction of 0.58, is 21746.4156 J. The applied force is equal to the force of friction in magnitude, and the total force is zero due to the constant speed and zero acceleration.
chawki

Homework Statement

A box, whose weight is 182 kg, is drawn with constant speed 21 m along a horizontal concrete floor. The kinetic friction between the box and the floor is 0.58.
(acceleration due to gravity, g = 9,81 m/s2).

Homework Equations

Calculate the work done when the box is drawn with a horizontal force.

The Attempt at a Solution

W = F*d
i don't know how to find F
i could only find Ff which is the frictional force
Ff= 0.58*182*9.81
Ff= 1035.54 N

Physics news on Phys.org
hi chawki! :smile:
chawki said:
W = F*d
i don't know how to find F
i could only find Ff which is the frictional force
Ff= 0.58*182*9.81
Ff= 1035.54 N

the speed is constant, so the acceleration is zero,

so Ftotal = 0,

so F + Fr = 0 :wink:

applied force is equal to force of friction in magnitude. so job is done!

yesyes,
by applying Newton second law and by projection on xx, we get:
F-Ff=0
F=Ff
F=0.58*182*9.81
F=1035.5436 N

W=F*d
W=1035.5436*21
W=21746.4156 J

To calculate the work done, we need to find the net force acting on the box. Since the box is moving at a constant speed, we know that the net force is equal to zero. This means that the horizontal force applied to the box (F) must be equal in magnitude to the frictional force (Ff). Therefore, we can use the frictional force that you calculated (1035.54 N) as the horizontal force in the equation W = F*d.

W = 1035.54 N * 21 m = 21,722.34 Joules.

This is the work done by the horizontal force in moving the box along the floor. It is important to note that this work is only done against the frictional force, as there is no change in the box's kinetic energy (since it is moving at a constant speed).

1. How do I calculate the work done for a box on a horizontal floor?

To calculate the work done for a box on a horizontal floor, you will need to multiply the force applied to the box by the distance it travels. This can be represented by the formula: Work = Force x Distance. Make sure to use consistent units for both force and distance, such as Newtons and meters.

2. What is the unit of measurement for work?

The unit of measurement for work is joules (J). This is equivalent to 1 Newton-meter (N*m). Other common units used for work include foot-pounds (ft-lb) and kilogram-meters squared per second squared (kg*m2/s2).

3. Can the work done for a box on a horizontal floor be negative?

Yes, the work done for a box on a horizontal floor can be negative. This occurs when the force applied to the box is in the opposite direction of its motion. In this case, the work done is considered to be negative because the force is doing work against the box's motion.

4. How does the weight of the box affect the work done?

The weight of the box does not directly affect the work done. The work done is only dependent on the force applied to the box and the distance it travels. However, the weight of the box can indirectly affect the work done if it is used to calculate the force applied to the box using the formula: Force = Mass x Acceleration.

5. Can I use the work done formula for a box on a horizontal floor for other objects?

Yes, the work done formula for a box on a horizontal floor can be used for other objects as long as they are moving horizontally and the force applied is in the same direction as their motion. This formula can also be applied to calculate the work done for a box on an inclined plane, as long as the force applied and the distance traveled are measured along the same plane.