Chance of Cancer for Gentechnology Professionals

• Thread starter indoubt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cancer
In summary, the conversation discusses the risk of developing cancer while working with hazardous components in the genetic technology field. It is noted that even with precautions, there is no guarantee of safety. The conversation also brings up the idea that the rise in cancer cases may be linked to the increase in synthetic and artificial chemicals in our daily lives. The individual expresses their concern about forgetting to be careful while working with hazardous substances and fears they may develop cancer as a result. It is also mentioned that cancer was always present, but people in the past often died from other causes before developing it.
indoubt
has any of you thought what is the chance of getting cancer when you constantly work with hazardious components like EtBr in the gentechnology field? :confused: well, it is a little scary that the chance of dying of cancer would be more increased for people in this field. even if we are careful when working with these stuffs, but there is no guarantee for that. so so so...

Biology news on Phys.org
my question is did cancer come about once the industrial age was in full force? being that our bodies are constantly submitted to synthetic and artificial chemicals everyday, i would think that definitely raises our chances. for example, i once read that deodarants and oral contraceptives from the 70's (real high dosages of estrogen) were contributed directly to the spike in breast cancer in women.

well, it seems like the incident of cancer increased with time, maybe you are right about that...

but again when i work with EtBr etc then sometimes i forget being careful so i usually touch the gel :grumpy: maybe i also will end up with one of these cancers :yuck: poor me!

I've heard it said that the increase in cancer was just due to the population surviving to greater ages. Cancer is very much a disease of old age, except in a genetically threatened minority. Old people in old times certainly did die of cancer, but something else usually got them first.

1. What are the potential risks of developing cancer for genetic technology professionals?

There is currently no definitive evidence that links genetic technology professionals to a higher risk of cancer. However, as with any profession that involves exposure to chemicals and radiation, there is a potential risk for developing cancer.

2. How does working with genetically modified organisms (GMOs) affect the risk of cancer for professionals?

There is no evidence that suggests working with GMOs increases the risk of cancer for professionals. In fact, genetically modified crops have undergone extensive testing and regulation to ensure their safety for both consumers and professionals who work with them.

3. Are there any safety measures in place for genetic technology professionals to prevent cancer?

Yes, there are strict safety regulations in place for genetic technology professionals to minimize their exposure to potential carcinogens. This includes wearing protective gear, following proper handling procedures, and working in well-ventilated areas.

4. Is there a specific type of cancer that genetic technology professionals are more susceptible to?

There is no evidence that suggests genetic technology professionals are more susceptible to a specific type of cancer. However, as with any profession that involves exposure to chemicals and radiation, there is a potential risk for developing various types of cancer.

5. What steps can genetic technology professionals take to reduce their risk of developing cancer?

Genetic technology professionals can take several steps to reduce their risk of developing cancer. This includes following safety regulations and procedures, minimizing exposure to potential carcinogens, maintaining a healthy lifestyle, and regularly monitoring their health through check-ups and screenings.