Why dummy variables used for the coefficients of a PDE solution?

In summary: Basically, it is helpful to have a dummy variable that is not x so we don't mistake it for the main variable.
AStaunton
have been solving PDEs by sep of variables, and the solution that comes out is generally a summation the general look of it is something like:

U=SIGMA(n=1 to infinity)E_n(sin(n(pi)x/L)(cos(n)(pi)x/L)t

The above may not be exactly right, I was thinking along the lines of heat equation where U=temperature x=position and t=time..in most of the basic probs I am doing, a boundary condition is given something like U=f(t) at x=0 or something like that...and this BC is used to solve for E_n...

My question is why when we solve for what the E_n's are do we then use dummy variables to express it...in this case the dummy variable would by t^bar...

The details of what I've written above aren't correct I know, but I hope that that doesn't matter in terms of the question I am asking..

Physics news on Phys.org
AStaunton said:
have been solving PDEs by sep of variables, and the solution that comes out is generally a summation the general look of it is something like:

U=SIGMA(n=1 to infinity)E_n(sin(n(pi)x/L)(cos(n)(pi)x/L)t

The above may not be exactly right, I was thinking along the lines of heat equation where U=temperature x=position and t=time..in most of the basic probs I am doing, a boundary condition is given something like U=f(t) at x=0 or something like that...and this BC is used to solve for E_n...

More likely U(x,0) = f(x), which I will use...

My question is why when we solve for what the E_n's are do we then use dummy variables to express it...in this case the dummy variable would by t^bar...

The details of what I've written above aren't correct I know, but I hope that that doesn't matter in terms of the question I am asking..

So you would likely have something like

[tex]f(x) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}E_n\sin(n\pi x/L) \cdot 1[/tex]

I'm not sure what dummy variable you refer to. At this point you have a simple Fourier series expansion for f(x) and the En are the Fourier coefficients. Are you referring to the dummy variable inside the integral for the coefficient En? En is just a constant...

yes, sorry I was unclear.

when we solve for E_n and plug into the final eigenfunction, we use x_bar (or some other variable) instead of x...
it has not been clear to my why this has to be done:

[tex]E_{n}=\frac{2}{L}\int_{0}^{L}f(\bar{x})\sin(\frac{n\pi\bar{x}}{L})d\bar{x}[/tex]

The dummy variable does not matter. It helps to use a different one for two reasons. It reminds us not to use it ourside the integral and avoids confusion with the our main variable.

1. Why are dummy variables used for the coefficients of a PDE solution?

Dummy variables are used in PDE solutions to represent unknown coefficients or parameters in the equation. This allows for a more general and flexible solution that can be applied to a variety of problems.

2. How are dummy variables chosen for PDE solutions?

The choice of dummy variables for PDE solutions depends on the specific problem being solved. They are typically chosen based on the properties of the equation and the desired form of the solution.

3. What is the purpose of using dummy variables in PDE solutions?

The use of dummy variables in PDE solutions allows for a more concise and compact representation of the equation. It also allows for easier manipulation and analysis of the solution.

4. Can dummy variables be replaced with actual values in PDE solutions?

In some cases, dummy variables can be replaced with actual values in PDE solutions. However, this may limit the generality of the solution and make it less applicable to other problems.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using dummy variables in PDE solutions?

One potential disadvantage of using dummy variables in PDE solutions is that it can make the equations more complex and difficult to understand. Additionally, if the choice of dummy variables is not appropriate, it may lead to a less accurate or meaningful solution.