Cosmic Microwave Background

The light year is a unit of distance, so it makes perfect sense that we would use it to measure the size of something. In fact, it is a very commonly used unit in astronomy, since it corresponds to a convenient scale for measuring distances on the scale of the universe. So, in summary, CMB hot spots have a physical size that corresponds to the size of the horizon at age 300,000 years, which is on the order of ct for a matter-dominated universe. This means that the physical size of a hot spot region, which has been expanding with the universe, will be on the order of ct today as well. To put this into perspective, the current size of the Virgo super-cluster is approximately 100 million
damasgate
CMB hot spots have a physical size that corresponds to the size of the horizon at age
300; 000 yrs. Assume one such hot spot region has been expanding together with the
universe, how big in physical size (express in unit of light-year) has it become today
?
For this exercise, use a model of the universe that is matter-dominated and assume

Omega = 1, so a proportional to t^(2/3) For comparison, the Virgo super-cluster currently has a size of 100 million light years, and it is marginally expanding with the Hubble
ow. There
are no structure larger than a super-cluster in our universe today.

What I know and tried:

-I know that a matter dominated univese is 30% of the density of the univese.
-It look like "the physical size" is measured in (light years) somehow which also confuses me

I think I just need a jumpstart explanation to get this but I just don't know how to start

Physics news on Phys.org
damasgate said:
CMB hot spots have a physical size that corresponds to the size of the horizon at age
300; 000 yrs.

What you have to do is figure out the physical horizon scale at t = 300,000 years. Do you know how to do this? Are you familiar with the Friedmann equation and the Robertson-Walker metric?

The horizon scale is the largest distance over which light can have traveled since the beginning of the universe. In other words, it is the farthest possible distance over which information can have propagated. An observer cannot yet have been influenced by events occurring outside of his or her horizon (therefore he cannot have any knowledge of them).

For a universe that has always been matter-dominated, it turns out that the physical horizon scale is on the order of ct, where t is the age of the universe (just as one would expect naively). But it's actually a bit larger than that due to the expansion, and you may be expected to compute it more exactly than that using the Friedmann equation.

damasgate said:
-I know that a matter dominated univese is 30% of the density of the univese.

I'm not sure what you mean here. What "matter-dominated" means is that the dynamics of the expansion of the universe are dominated by the density of (non-relativistic) matter. That's because the density of this matter is much larger than the density of radiation and relativistic particles, which contribute negligibly.

damasgate said:
-It look like "the physical size" is measured in (light years) somehow which also confuses me

Why does it confuse you that the size of some region is measured in light years?

What is Cosmic Microwave Background?

Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB) is the radiation that is left over from the Big Bang. It is the oldest light in the universe and is still present today, filling the entire universe.

How was Cosmic Microwave Background discovered?

CMB was first predicted by George Gamow in the 1940s, based on the Big Bang theory. It was later discovered in 1964 by Arno Penzias and Robert Wilson, who were conducting radio astronomy experiments and found a constant background noise that could not be explained. They later realized that this noise was actually the CMB radiation.

What is the significance of Cosmic Microwave Background?

The discovery of CMB was a major confirmation of the Big Bang theory. It also provides evidence for the expansion of the universe and the existence of dark matter and dark energy. Studying CMB can also help us understand the early stages of the universe and the formation of galaxies and other structures.

How is Cosmic Microwave Background measured?

CMB is measured using specialized telescopes that can detect microwave radiation. These telescopes are typically placed in high altitudes or outer space to avoid interference from Earth's atmosphere. The measurements are then analyzed to create a map of the CMB radiation across the sky.

What new discoveries have been made with Cosmic Microwave Background?

Since its discovery, CMB has been studied extensively and has provided many important insights into the universe. It has helped scientists determine the age of the universe, the composition of the universe, and even provided evidence for the inflation theory. Ongoing research on CMB continues to shed light on the mysteries of the universe.