If the univese is finite will I see my light again.

In summary, the light will never reach the boundary, because parts of space-time are expanding faster than c.
tkav1980
As the thread title says, if the universe is finite will i see my light again. I understand that parts of space-time are expanding faster than c, therefore even in a finite yet expanding universe the light will never reach the "boundry". By boundry i mean more of a turning point where the curvature of space takes my Photon on a long trip eventually leading to its point of origion. I'm picturing 2 ants on a baloon standing next to each other. The first ant gets in his little spaceship and zips off in a straight line, well a line he perceives to be straight. heading into the distance until his friend can't see him anymore. from the perspective of both ants everything in every direction is perfectly flat. But eventually our second ant turns around to find his friend rapidly aproaching from the other direction. Our first ant followed, in a straight line, the natural curvature of the baloon and ended up right where he started.

I'm trying to read a book that's a bit out of my league and I am at a part of the book that talks about spatial curvature. I tend to think better in pictures so i want to make sure my picture is right before i move on to trying to teach myself the math.

Space news on Phys.org
In a finite universe with zero cosmological constant, I think the answer to your question is definitely yes, because every particle in the entire universe is ultimately reunited in a Big Crunch. I don't know if you'd actually see your own light before the Big Crunch, but you're guaranteed to see it at some point.

Our real universe is nearly flat, and it has a nonzero cosmological constant. So I guess if you want an answer for the real universe, we should be talking about a cosmology that has the observed value of the cosmological constant, and that is not quite flat but just barely closed (say at one end of the error bars for the best current empirical bounds on the curvature). In that case, I don't know the answer.

bcrowell said:
In a finite universe with zero cosmological constant, I think the answer to your question is definitely yes, because every particle in the entire universe is ultimately reunited in a Big Crunch. I don't know if you'd actually see your own light before the Big Crunch, but you're guaranteed to see it at some point.

Our real universe is nearly flat, and it has a nonzero cosmological constant. So I guess if you want an answer for the real universe, we should be talking about a cosmology that has the observed value of the cosmological constant, and that is not quite flat but just barely closed (say at one end of the error bars for the best current empirical bounds on the curvature). In that case, I don't know the answer.

So, to picture the ever so slight curvature of space in our real Universe, I'm on the right track?

Sorry this is a bit elementary but my last Physics class was 10 years ago, and I'm determined to get through "The Road to Reality" no matter how long it takes. Anyway, Thank you for your responce, now on to the Math section for some truly annyoing questions for those guys.

1. Will I ever see my light again if the universe is finite?

The answer to this question depends on several factors, including the size and age of the universe. If the universe is finite and expanding at a constant rate, it is possible that light emitted from a distant object may eventually reach you again. However, this would likely take an extremely long time, potentially billions of years.

2. How does the finiteness of the universe affect the concept of light?

Since light is a fundamental part of the universe, its finiteness would play a significant role in how we perceive and interact with light. For example, if the universe is finite, it means that light can only travel a certain distance before reaching its limit and potentially looping back on itself.

3. Can light travel infinitely in a finite universe?

No, if the universe is finite, it means that there is a limit to how far light can travel. Once it reaches this limit, it will either dissipate or potentially loop back on itself, depending on the size and structure of the universe.

4. How can we measure the size of the universe to determine if it is finite?

Scientists use various methods to measure the size of the universe, including studying the cosmic microwave background radiation, analyzing the redshift of galaxies, and measuring the curvature of space. Through these methods, we can estimate the size and shape of the universe and determine if it is finite or infinite.

5. What implications does a finite universe have on our understanding of time and space?

If the universe is finite, it means that there is a limit to the amount of space and time that exists. This can have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and how it functions, as well as our understanding of concepts such as infinity and eternity.