How Do I Get Old Synoptic Charts?

• Thread starter BadBrain
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charts
In summary, the speaker is researching the Lake Michigan/Southern Lake Huron Firestorms of October 8th-9th, 1871 and is in need of synoptic charts for the period. They ask for advice on obtaining these materials and it is suggested to query their local met office or look for archived data at the library. It is also mentioned that the charts were likely compiled by collecting weather reports from Weather Bureau offices and telegraphers.
BadBrain
Hey, you've already guessed that I'm looking into the Lake Michigan/Southern Lake Huron Firestorms of October 8th-9th, 1871.

I need to get the synoptic charts for this region for the period 7 October through 12 October 1871. Can anyone tell me how to get these materials?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
have you queried your local met office ?
They may have archived data, but it may be hard copy rather than on computer

would be interesting to know if they even had synoptic charts that far back

Dave

They did have them back then. I think I once heard that they were compiled by collecting weather reports from Weather Bureau offices and telegraphers.

I'll try looking at newspapers of the time, seeing as I live one block away from a library that has complete collections of newspapers on microfilm going back to before the Civil War.

1. How do I access old synoptic charts?

To access old synoptic charts, you can visit the website of a national meteorological agency or a university meteorology department. Many of these institutions have online archives where you can search and download old synoptic charts.

2. What is the purpose of using old synoptic charts?

Old synoptic charts are used for historical weather analysis and research. They provide valuable information about past weather conditions and help in understanding long-term climate patterns.

3. How do I interpret an old synoptic chart?

Interpreting an old synoptic chart requires knowledge of basic meteorological concepts and symbols. You will need to understand isobars, fronts, and weather symbols to interpret the weather conditions shown on the chart.

4. Are there any limitations to using old synoptic charts?

Yes, there are some limitations to using old synoptic charts. The data collected and recorded in the past may not be as accurate as the current methods, and some data may be missing. Also, the technology used to create the charts may not have been as advanced, which can affect the accuracy of the information.

5. Can I use old synoptic charts for forecasting?

No, old synoptic charts should not be used for forecasting. They are only meant for historical analysis and research purposes. Forecasts should be based on the most recent and accurate data available.