Position-Time graph vs. Velocity-Time graph

In summary, the page layout is included in the picture attachments which are in order. The part the person is having trouble with is figuring out the curves of the line. What they did was make a straight line and then a vertical line to go all the way down to 1 m/s. They then moved the line over 1 second. After that, they went down to 0 on the horizontal axis from 10 seconds to 18 seconds and then drew a horizontal line from 18 to 25 seconds.
BloodyMinded
The page layout is included in the picture attachments which are in order.
So far, if I'm correct, the constant velocity between position- 0 and time- 8.2 is 1.5m/s
The part I'm having trouble with is the curves of the line (how to figure them out and how to place them on the velocity-time graph).
What I've done for the curves is: 14-13/10-8.2 = .555 but I don't think that is right.
I would be most appreciative if you guys could help me out.

Attachments

• IMG_1069.JPG
    IMG_1069.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 537
  • IMG_1070.jpg
    IMG_1070.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 519
  • IMG_1071.JPG
    IMG_1071.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 498
Physics news on Phys.org
BloodyMinded said:
The page layout is included in the picture attachments which are in order.
So far, if I'm correct, the constant velocity between position- 0 and time- 8.2 is 1.5m/s
The part I'm having trouble with is the curves of the line (how to figure them out and how to place them on the velocity-time graph).
What I've done for the curves is: 14-13/10-8.2 = .555 but I don't think that is right.
I would be most appreciative if you guys could help me out.

In the absence of any conflicting data, it is reasonable to a assume that the curved sections are parabolic - meaning constant acceleration - meaning the v-t graph will be sloping up or down at a constant rate.

I would usually identify the long straight sections of the v-t graph - you have the first one, the next one will last from 10 seconds to 18 seconds Then just join the ends of the straight sections [those sections will probably be disjoint] with straight lines. same for the last bit.

Okay, so I'm learning the same exact thing in my science class. In fact, we just had a test over it today! So, the first one is a position vs. time graph, right? Okay, so the line that you're having trouble with is more of a little "hump" like shape. The "hump" basically means that the speed of the elevator is decreasing a little.

So, you're trying to figure out how to place it on a velocity vs. time graph. Well, to show that you're slowing down on a velocity vs. time graph, you would abandon that small little diagonal line that you drew, and instead, make a straight line.

So, to put it simpler, you have your straight line, and then, make a vertical line going all the way down to 1 m/s.
*The reason you go down to 1 is because the slope of the line in the position vs. time graph is 1/1 or 1.
Then you move the line over 1 second.

(The next part kind of exceeds what your asking, but you could use it to check your work)

After that, you would go down to 0 on the horizontal axis from 10 seconds to 18 seconds. Then, since the slope of the last diagonal line is -1, you would go down (using a vertical line) to -1 on the x-axis and draw a horizontal line from 18 to 25 seconds.

Hope I helped you just a little. It took a while for me to type:)

1. How do position-time graphs and velocity-time graphs differ?

Position-time graphs show the position of an object over a period of time, while velocity-time graphs show the velocity of an object over a period of time.

2. Which graph is better for determining an object's acceleration?

Velocity-time graphs are better for determining an object's acceleration, as the slope of the graph represents the object's acceleration.

3. How can you calculate an object's displacement from a position-time graph?

You can calculate an object's displacement by finding the area under the curve on a position-time graph.

4. What does a horizontal line on a velocity-time graph represent?

A horizontal line on a velocity-time graph represents a constant velocity, as the slope of a horizontal line is 0.

5. Can you determine an object's direction of motion from a velocity-time graph?

Yes, the direction of motion can be determined by the slope of the velocity-time graph. A positive slope indicates motion in the positive direction, while a negative slope indicates motion in the negative direction.