Radiation/convection heat transfer problem. (Thermodynamics)

In summary, the problem involves a 1.5-m^2 black surface at 120 degrees C losing heat to surrounding air at 30 degrees C by convection and radiation to surrounding surfaces at 10 degrees C. The total rate of heat loss from the surface needs to be calculated, taking into account the convection heat transfer coefficient and radiation. The emissivity of the surface is not explicitly given, but can be assumed to be 1 since it is described as black.
Sentience

Homework Statement

A 1.5-m^2 black surface at 120 degrees C is losing heat to the surrounding air at 30 degrees C by convection with a convection heat transfer coefficient of 18 W/(m^2 degree C), and by radiation to the surrounding surfaces at 10 degrees C. The total rate of heat loss from the surface is : ?

Homework Equations

Q (convection) = h * A *( delta T)

Q (radiation) = [itex]\epsilon[/itex] * [itex]\sigma[/itex] * A * (T^4 (surface) - T^4 (surroundings))

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculate the heat lost by convection to be 2430 Watts. However, I need to find the total heat loss from the surface, which includes the loss from radiation.

I have the surface Area, the sigma value (Stefan-Boltzmann constant) , and the temperatures (393 K for the emitting surface and 283 K for the surrounding surface) but no epsilon value is given. (emissivity). All it says is "black surface" and not the material. Should I assume the surface is ideal (blackbody radiation) and put a value of 1? Should I disregard the term altogether?

I wanted to post this here before I emailed my instructor, because I unless I'm doing something wrong I feel I lack enough information to complete the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
"Black" implies an emissivity of 1.

1. What is radiation heat transfer?

Radiation heat transfer is the transfer of thermal energy between two objects through electromagnetic waves. This type of heat transfer does not require a medium and can occur even in a vacuum.

2. What is convection heat transfer?

Convection heat transfer is the transfer of thermal energy between a solid surface and a moving fluid (such as air or water) through the circulation of that fluid. This type of heat transfer is driven by the temperature difference between the solid surface and the fluid.

3. What factors affect the rate of radiation heat transfer?

The rate of radiation heat transfer is affected by the temperature and emissivity of the objects involved, as well as the distance between them. Other factors such as the surface area and orientation of the objects also play a role.

4. How can I calculate the rate of convection heat transfer?

The rate of convection heat transfer can be calculated using the convective heat transfer coefficient, the surface area, and the temperature difference between the solid surface and the fluid. These values can be determined experimentally or through mathematical models.

5. What is the difference between radiation and convection heat transfer?

The main difference between radiation and convection heat transfer is the mechanism of energy transfer. Radiation heat transfer occurs through electromagnetic waves, while convection heat transfer occurs through the movement of a fluid. Additionally, radiation can occur in a vacuum, while convection requires a medium.