Simplifying and identifying parallel circuits

In summary: It's one of those things that comes with experience. But in general, first look for the negative terminal of the power supply for the circuit if there's only one of them. If there are several, if they all tie together at one node, choose that. Failing that, choose a node that is...well, a node. :)
ashlynne_
I have not been able to solve these 3 questions. (attached)
I understand that parallel circuits can be identified by checking if there are branches at a particular point, but I am still unable to simplify these circuits and solve these questions.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks! :)

IMG_1102.jpg

IMG_1104.jpg

IMG_1105.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
HI ashlynne_. Welcome to Physics Forums.

You'll have to provide some attempt to solve a problem before we can help. Why don't you pick one of your circuits and give us your thoughts on what's happening in it, and perhaps show an attempt at some calculations.

Okay..thanks.
for the first problem, this is what I was able to come up with:

IMG_1107.jpg

I don't know how should I carry on from there.
Does the current actually split when it is between point X and the 4.8Ω resistor?

Last edited:
ashlynne_ said:
Okay..thanks.
for the first problem, this is what I was able to come up with:

View attachment 39713

I don't know how should I carry on from there.
Does the current actually split when it is between point X and the 4.8Ω resistor?

That's a great start. No, the current doesn't split; the remaining components are all in series, so the current is the same through all of them (The wire leading to X carries no current because there's nowhere for it to go --- it's just a reference point where you might stick a voltmeter lead, for example).

If you were to find the current that the 8V battery will push through the resistors, you might then consider how to apply Ohm's Law to find the voltage drops that occur across each of them.

Okay,

I've worked out that the resistance across the 4.8Ω resistor is 3.10V,
and that through the 7.6Ω resistor is 4.90V.

So the current through the circuit is 0.645A, and I make use of this value to multiply with the total resistance through the circuit?

Last edited:
ashlynne_ said:
Okay,

I've worked out that the resistance across the 4.8Ω resistor is 3.10V,
and that through the 7.6Ω resistor is 4.90V.

So the current through the through the circuit is 0.645A, and I make use of this value to multiply with the total resistance through the circuit?

Can you show your calculations in detail? Something seems to have gone awry somewhere.

Oh, by the way, voltage (potential difference) appears across components like resistors, while current passes though them.

Oh, okay!

This is what I did:

IMG_1110.jpg

ashlynne_ said:
Oh, okay!

This is what I did:

View attachment 39719

Okay! I apologize, I misinterpreted your previous post. Your answers for this circuit are correct :smile:

It's alright :)

Uhm, but how do I calculate the potential at X? Between which points do I look for the voltage drop?

ashlynne_ said:
It's alright :)

Uhm, but how do I calculate the potential at X? Between which points do I look for the voltage drop?

Potential is always defined with respect to some reference point. In this case that reference point is indicated by the ground symbol at the bottom of the battery. One way to find the potential at point X is to find a path through the circuit that goes from the reference point to point X. Add up all the potential differences that occur along that path.

Oh, okay!
I get it now!

So in the case of the 2nd problem, the reference point would be point Z? & can I assume it to be at 0V?

ashlynne_ said:
Oh, okay!
I get it now!

So in the case of the 2nd problem, the reference point would be point Z?

You can choose any point that you wish, so long as you're consistent throughout the analysis. Some points will be more convenient than others (strategically placed) for the analysis.

When you are looking for the potential difference between two points, sometimes it's convenient to choose one of those points as the overall circuit reference point, sometimes it's not (the circuit reference point may be specified already, or the choice would make calculating other things more complicated). Whatever the choice of overall circuit reference point, the potential difference between two points, say X and Z, can be found by first finding the potential at each of those points with respect to the circuit ground, then taking the difference: E = X - Z.

For this circuit I personally would choose the negative terminal of the battery as the ground reference and then find the potentials at X and Z with respect to that. :wink:

Oh, I see. But how do you determine which part of the circuit would be more convenient as the ground reference?

ashlynne_ said:
Oh, I see. But how do you determine which part of the circuit would be more convenient as the ground reference?

It's one of those things that comes with experience. But in general, first look for the negative terminal of the power supply for the circuit if there's only one of them. If there are several, if they all tie together at one node, choose that. Failing that, choose a node that is a 'popular connection point' for several branches. The idea is to select a reference point that either has some overwhelming reason for being considered THE reference point, or is simply conveniently located for 'reaching' other nodes.

As you start writing equations to solve more complex circuits you will soon develop the intuition for choosing a reference point that makes the equations fewer and simpler :smile:

Okay!
I understand it now.
Thank you so much for your prompt replies and explanations! (:

What is a parallel circuit?

A parallel circuit is a type of electrical circuit where the components are connected in such a way that there are multiple pathways for the current to flow. This means that if one component fails, the others will still continue to function.

How do you simplify a parallel circuit?

To simplify a parallel circuit, you need to identify the components that are connected in parallel and combine them into one equivalent component. This can be done by using the formula 1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3... where R is the equivalent resistance and R1, R2, R3... are the resistances of each component. Once you have the equivalent resistance, you can use Ohm's law (V = IR) to calculate the overall current and voltage in the circuit.

What are the advantages of a parallel circuit?

One advantage of a parallel circuit is that if one component fails, the others will still continue to function. This makes it more reliable than a series circuit. Additionally, each component in a parallel circuit has its own individual current and voltage, allowing multiple devices to be connected without affecting each other.

How do you identify if a circuit is in parallel?

A circuit is in parallel if there are multiple pathways for the current to flow. Additionally, the components in a parallel circuit will have the same voltage but different currents. You can also use a multimeter to measure the resistance between different points in the circuit - if the resistance is the same, the components are connected in parallel.

What are some examples of parallel circuits?

Some common examples of parallel circuits include household electrical circuits, where appliances are connected in parallel to the power source. Another example is a car's electrical system, where the headlights, radio, and other components are connected in parallel. Additionally, most electronic devices, such as laptops and smartphones, use parallel circuits to power their different components.