Effective mass of Dirac electron increased by electrostatic potential?

In summary, the conversation discusses the Dirac electron in the Higgs vacuum field and an electromagnetic field, described by an equation with coupling constants g and e. In the simplified equation, the electron is in the rest frame and there is only an electrostatic potential. The Weyl or Chiral basis is chosen, and the equation separates into two equations for two-component Weyl spinors. Adding these equations together, it is shown that the state of the electron has an effective mass given by gv + e\phi. It is also stated that the presence of an electrostatic field does not increase the electron's mass beyond that induced by the Higgs vacuum field.
johne1618
The Dirac electron in the Higgs vacuum field [itex]v[/itex] and an electromagnetic field with vector potential [itex]A_\mu[/itex] is described by the following equation:

[itex]i \gamma^\mu \partial_\mu \psi = g v \psi + e \gamma_\mu A^\mu \psi [/itex]

where [itex]g[/itex] is the coupling constant to the Higgs field and [itex]e[/itex] is the coupling constant to the electromagnetic field.

Let us assume that we are in the rest frame of the electron so that:

[itex]\partial_x=\partial_y=\partial_z=0[/itex]

Let us also assume that there is only an electrostatic potential [itex]A_0=\phi[/itex] so that:

[itex]A_x = A_y = A_z = 0[/itex]

So the simplified Dirac equation is now:

[itex]i \gamma^0 \partial_t \psi = g v \psi + e \gamma_0 \phi \psi [/itex]

Let us choose the Weyl or Chiral basis so that:

[itex]\gamma^0 = \begin{pmatrix} 0 & I \\ I & 0 \end{pmatrix} [/itex]

where [itex]I[/itex] is the [itex]2\times2[/itex] unit matrix.

In this representation:

[itex]\psi=\begin{pmatrix} \psi_L \\ \psi_R \end{pmatrix} [/itex]

where [itex] \psi_L [/itex] and [itex] \psi_R [/itex] are left-handed and right-handed two-component Weyl spinors.

Subtituting into the simplified Dirac equation above we get:

[itex] i \begin{pmatrix} 0 & I \\ I & 0 \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} \partial \psi_L / \partial t \\ \partial \psi_R / \partial t \end{pmatrix} = g v \begin{pmatrix} \psi_L \\ \psi_R \end{pmatrix} + e \phi \begin{pmatrix} 0 & I \\ I & 0 \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} \psi_L \\ \psi_R \end{pmatrix} [/itex]

This equation separates into two equations of two-component Weyl spinors:

[itex] i \partial \psi_R / \partial t = g v \psi_L + e \phi \psi_R [/itex]

[itex] i \partial \psi_L / \partial t = g v \psi_R + e \phi \psi_L [/itex]

Now let us add these two equations together to obtain:

[itex] i \frac{\partial}{\partial t} (\psi_L + \psi_R) = (g v + e \phi)(\psi_L + \psi_R) [/itex]

My question is this:

Does the state [itex]\psi_L + \psi_R[/itex] describe an electron with an effective mass given by [itex]gv + e \phi[/itex]?

Does the presence of an electrostatic field increase the electron's mass over and above the mass induced by the Higgs vacuum field alone?

Physics news on Phys.org
johne1618, Mass is more than just "energy at rest". To define what the mass is, you need to see how the energy changes when the object is slowly moving (as in p2/2m.) The nonrelativistic limit of the Dirac equation is a thoroughly studied topic. I suggest you google for material on the Foldy Wouthuysen representation.

Prof Susskind has kindly answered my question in an attachment. Adding a constant potential is equivalent to an overall phase shift and has no effect on the electron's equation of motion.

The file is attached to a reply to my similar thread in the Particle Physics Forum.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=562314

Last edited:

1. What is the effective mass of a Dirac electron?

The effective mass of a Dirac electron is a measure of the electron's response to an applied force. It is influenced by factors such as the electron's energy and the surrounding environment.

2. How does the electrostatic potential affect the effective mass of a Dirac electron?

The electrostatic potential, or electric potential energy, can alter the energy levels of a Dirac electron. This, in turn, can affect the effective mass of the electron.

3. Why does the effective mass of a Dirac electron increase with electrostatic potential?

The increase in electrostatic potential can lead to a change in the energy levels of a Dirac electron, causing it to behave as if it has a larger mass. Additionally, the presence of an electrostatic potential can modify the electron's interactions with other particles, further influencing its effective mass.

4. What are the implications of an increased effective mass of a Dirac electron?

An increased effective mass of a Dirac electron can have various consequences in different contexts. In condensed matter physics, it can affect the electronic properties of materials, while in high-energy physics, it can impact the behavior of particles in particle accelerators.

5. Are there any practical applications of studying the effective mass of a Dirac electron increased by electrostatic potential?

Yes, understanding how the effective mass of a Dirac electron is affected by electrostatic potential is important in fields such as materials science, semiconductor devices, and quantum computing. It can also provide insights into the fundamental properties of particles in different energy regimes.