Energy release from Graviton / Higgs Boson

In summary, the conversation revolves around the concept of the Higgs boson and the question of why massive objects do not decay due to the emission of gravitons. It is explained that objects do not emit gravitons, but rather have a cloud of virtual gravitons that contribute to their gravitational field. Only objects with strong, asymmetric time-varying gravitational fields emit gravitons.
mjcguest
With so much coverage in the press over the seemingly imminent discovery of the Higgs particle, there's one question that never seems to get raised - which more than likely means I've missed something fundamentally simple; so this may be a very short thread!

Higgs Boson / Graviton - it may be massless, chargeless, spin 2 or whatever... but the fact that it is expected to be "something" as opposed to a theoretical concept must mean it has energy (at least that's the premise I'm starting at...)

So if I'm producing these energy sapping particles that go off an interact with other massive bodies to produce the effect we call gravity; why aren't I decaying in some way? If, for example, I was in an outflung reach of space where my production of gravitons far exceeded my receipt of gravitons from other bodies; surely I would decay even faster?

Go easy on me... my head hurts and I'm looking for answers - not suggesting a new theory of quantum decay :-)

Thanks
Matt

Physics news on Phys.org
mjcguest said:
With so much coverage in the press over the seemingly imminent discovery of the Higgs particle, there's one question that never seems to get raised - which more than likely means I've missed something fundamentally simple; so this may be a very short thread!

Higgs Boson / Graviton - it may be massless, chargeless, spin 2 or whatever... but the fact that it is expected to be "something" as opposed to a theoretical concept must mean it has energy (at least that's the premise I'm starting at...)

So if I'm producing these energy sapping particles that go off an interact with other massive bodies to produce the effect we call gravity; why aren't I decaying in some way? If, for example, I was in an outflung reach of space where my production of gravitons far exceeded my receipt of gravitons from other bodies; surely I would decay even faster?

Go easy on me... my head hurts and I'm looking for answers - not suggesting a new theory of quantum decay :-)

Thanks
Matt

I'm thinking that we radiate matter all day every day anyway...which is why we have odors, sweat, and so forth.

A few sub atomic particles radiated here and there are probably replaced by a hamburger here and there, so you should have a Higgs Boson decay rate that is most likely quite survivable.

Having consumed my own weight in Xmas dinners over the last week I would find that most welcome! However, my question relates more to a generic massive object. As far as I'm aware (which may not be far), there's no theory that suggest a massive object will decay over time due to the loss of gravitons.

I might ask where the massive object got its gravitons in the first place then...

As it obviously was able to accumulate mass faster than the decay rate...or it would have never become massive, etc.

If I were a graviton, frankly, I think I'd be attracted to mass.

I think most large objects, such as earth, etc...accumulate dust and radiation of various sorts and so forth from space...

The particles with mass would of course contain gravitons as well.

Thanks for your thought Tea Jay, but I'm hoping to get a definitive reply

Can anyone out there enlighten me?

Because you do not "emit" gravitons. I know you've been told this - it's become a staple for popular science writers struggling to describe a fundamentally quantum situation in classical terms. But it leads to obvious questions like the one you've posed that have no validity. (Also, how many do you emit, how often, etc)

With the caveat that gravitons have not yet been detected and remain hypothetical, you are surrounded by a time-independent cloud of virtual gravitons. They are neither being emitted or absorbed, they just sit there and form your gravitational field.

The only things that emit gravitons are like the binary pulsar PSR B1913+16, which loses energy due to the gravitational radiation it produces. What's necessary to do this is a strong, asymmetric time-varying gravitational field.

What is the concept of energy release from Graviton / Higgs Boson?

The concept of energy release from Graviton / Higgs Boson refers to the energy that is released when these subatomic particles interact with other particles. This energy release is a result of the conversion of mass into energy, as described by Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2.

How is energy released from Graviton / Higgs Boson?

Energy is released from Graviton / Higgs Boson when these particles decay into other particles. This decay process is known as particle annihilation, where the energy of the original particles is converted into the energy of the new particles.

What is the significance of energy release from Graviton / Higgs Boson?

The energy release from Graviton / Higgs Boson is significant because it provides insight into the fundamental forces and particles that make up the universe. It also helps us understand the origin of mass and the workings of the Higgs field, which is responsible for giving particles their mass.

Can we harness the energy released from Graviton / Higgs Boson?

Currently, we do not have the technology to harness the energy released from Graviton / Higgs Boson. The energy released is on a very small scale and is not yet practical for human use. However, scientists are constantly researching and studying ways to potentially harness this energy in the future.

Are there any potential risks associated with energy release from Graviton / Higgs Boson?

There are currently no known risks associated with energy release from Graviton / Higgs Boson. However, as with any scientific advancement, it is important for scientists to continue researching and monitoring the effects of this energy release to ensure its safety and ethical use.