How to Choose the Right Shottky Diode for Transistor Switching?

• Thread starter Ebola0001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diode
In summary, the shottky diodes that were ordered by the user don't work, and it was recommended that he or she look for a small signal diode instead. It was also mentioned that the ckt mentioned in a previous thread might work.
Ebola0001
Hey guys, I ordered some shottky diodes to speed up a transistor switching.

The diodes I ordered don't work for me; I will upload a waveform with the diode if it would help.

It was mentioned in the other thread HERE about needing a "signal" shottky as the ones used for power had a large capacitance.

How do I select the one I need, or do you have a recommendation on a specific one from digikey?

"1N5819-TPCT-ND" were the ones i got and they don't work i think for the reason mentioned.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You need small signal diode, not a big rectifier diode! I used MBD301, many other surface mount ones work too.

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?x=0&y=0&lang=en&site=us&KeyWords=mbd301

If you’re trying to maximize switching speed, just replace the BJT with a MOSFET and eliminate the base resistor. A very common fet such as 2N7000 will have a maximum turn on time and turn off time of 10ns.

Ebola0001 said:
Hey guys, I ordered some shottky diodes to speed up a transistor switching.

The diodes I ordered don't work for me; I will upload a waveform with the diode if it would help.

It was mentioned in the other thread HERE about needing a "signal" shottky as the ones used for power had a large capacitance.

How do I select the one I need, or do you have a recommendation on a specific one from digikey?

"1N5819-TPCT-ND" were the ones i got and they don't work i think for the reason mentioned.

Check the ckt (the one with emitter degeneration resistor) mentioned by Vk6Kro in this thread -
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=575210

Schottky diode didn't work for me either. Not sure what I did wrong. Let us know how it works out.

You might also look up Baker clamp. This circuit uses two diodes, but you can use everyday 1n4148's or 1n914's

1. What is a Shottky Diode and how does it work?

A Shottky Diode is a semiconductor device that allows current to flow in only one direction. It is made of a metal-semiconductor junction which creates a barrier that prevents the flow of current in the reverse direction. When a voltage is applied, the barrier is lowered and current can flow through the diode.

2. What are the important factors to consider when selecting a Shottky Diode?

The most important factors to consider are the forward voltage drop, reverse voltage rating, and maximum current rating. The diode should also have a low leakage current and fast switching speed. Additionally, the diode's capacitance, temperature range, and package size may also be important considerations.

3. How do I determine the appropriate forward voltage drop for my application?

The ideal forward voltage drop for a Shottky Diode is as low as possible. However, it is important to consider the specific requirements of your application, such as the maximum current and voltage ratings, to determine the appropriate forward voltage drop. It is recommended to consult the diode's datasheet for this information.

4. Can I use any Shottky Diode in my circuit?

No, it is important to choose a diode with the correct specifications for your specific circuit. The diode's forward voltage drop and reverse voltage rating should be appropriate for your circuit's requirements. Additionally, the diode's package size should also be compatible with your circuit's layout.

5. How do I ensure the reliability of a Shottky Diode?

The reliability of a Shottky Diode can be ensured by selecting a diode from a reputable manufacturer and following the recommended operating conditions specified in the datasheet. It is also important to properly handle and store the diode to prevent any damage. Additionally, testing the diode in your circuit before full implementation can help identify any potential issues.