Can I assume this is a travelling wave?

• Thread starter merry
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wave
In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to the time dependent Schrodinger equation in a time-independent potential where E<V. The proposed solution is ψ = exp(-\sqrt{k}x - (iE/\bar{h})t) with k > 0 and k = (2m/\bar{h}^{2})(V-E). The question is whether this solution is a left traveling wave, written as ψ = exp(-i (\sqrt{-k}x + (E/\bar{h})t)) but it is not correct due to the positive value of k.
merry
Hello,

I was solving the time dependent schrodinger equation in a time-independent potential such that E<V and I got the following solution:

ψ = exp(-[itex]\sqrt{k}[/itex]x - (iE/[itex]\bar{h}[/itex])t)

where k > 0 and k = (2m/[itex]\bar{h}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex])(V-E)

I was wondering if this was a left traveling wave i.e. whether I could write it as:
ψ = exp(-i ([itex]\sqrt{-k}[/itex]x + (E/[itex]\bar{h}[/itex])t) )

Would this be correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
No. Because you know that k is positive (and real), thus the simplest form is [itex]-\sqrt{k}[/itex], it means that as [itex]|x|[/itex] increases, the wave-function is exponentially damped.

1. Can you explain the concept of a travelling wave?

A travelling wave is a type of wave that travels through a medium, without causing any permanent displacement of the medium itself. It is characterized by a disturbance that moves through the medium, rather than the medium moving itself.

2. How can I identify if a wave is a travelling wave?

To identify a travelling wave, you can look for certain characteristics. A travelling wave will have a constant amplitude and wavelength, and will exhibit a continuous and smooth oscillation. It will also move through the medium in a specific direction.

3. What factors affect the speed of a travelling wave?

The speed of a travelling wave is affected by the properties of the medium it is travelling through, such as density and elasticity. It is also affected by the frequency and wavelength of the wave.

4. Can a travelling wave change direction?

Yes, a travelling wave can change direction when it encounters a boundary between two media with different properties. This is known as refraction and is seen in phenomena such as the bending of light in water.

5. What are some real-world examples of travelling waves?

Some common real-world examples of travelling waves include ocean waves, sound waves, and electromagnetic waves such as light and radio waves. These waves all propagate through a medium and exhibit characteristics of a travelling wave.