GED & College: Astronomy/Physics at Florida's Cheapest College

• Thread starter AustinJones
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College
In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's decision to drop out of high school and pursue a career in astronomy/cosmology with a minor in physics. They mention living near a cheap college in Florida and the potential impact of having a GED on their ability to get loans or grants and attend a good university. The individual receives reassurance that having a GED should not hinder their chances and shares their own experience of successfully transferring from a community college to a top engineering school.
AustinJones
I dropped out of high-school this year, was tired of everyone telling me to go to college when I didn't even know what I wanted to do. I want to go into astronomy/cosmology with a minor in physics. I live next to the cheapest college in Florida, I know this because it is advertised as such. I know ill be able to get my associates their, but will having a GED prevent me from getting loans or grants? Possibly prevent me from getting into a good university after getting my AA, even if I have really good grades?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have really good grades post-high school, I wouldn't imagine it would hurt your chances much if you have a GED (unless you wanted to go to a prestigious school). I can't say for certain, but I would doubt it. Having a GED would certainly not prevent you from getting loans or grants from FAFSA (your/your parents' income might though on the latter).

Here in California, most of the Universities have "transfer agreements" with the local community colleges. If you do courses from a specified program along with the lower division major requirements, you're practically guaranteed entrance with a decent GPA (some schools it is as low as ~2.5GPA others it is >3.5). However, I believe they are changing this to require an associate's degree prior to transfer. I'm not sure how it is in FL, even though I went to high school there, but that is something to look into.

Thankyou, i just needed some reassurance.

I graduated with a GED. Then I went into community colleges. I did well, then I transferred to one of the top engineering schools in the country. You won't be burdened by the GED.

I understand your desire to pursue a career in astronomy and physics. It is important to have a clear understanding of your goals and interests before committing to a college education. However, dropping out of high school may limit your opportunities in the future and it is important to consider alternative routes to obtaining a high school diploma.

In terms of your question about obtaining loans or grants with a GED, it is possible that some institutions may have specific requirements for financial aid, including a high school diploma. It is important to research the specific requirements of the college you are interested in attending and to also explore other options for financial aid, such as scholarships or grants specifically for students with a GED.

Additionally, having a GED may not necessarily prevent you from getting into a good university after obtaining your AA degree. Admissions decisions are based on a variety of factors, including your academic performance, extracurricular activities, and personal statement. It is important to demonstrate your passion and dedication for the field of astronomy and physics through your coursework and other experiences.

Overall, while a GED may present some challenges, it is not a barrier to achieving your goals. I encourage you to continue exploring your interests and to seek out resources and support to help you succeed in your academic journey. Best of luck to you in your future endeavors.

1. What is the cost of attending Florida's cheapest college for a degree in Astronomy/Physics?

The cost of attending Florida's cheapest college for a degree in Astronomy/Physics will vary depending on several factors such as residency status, course load, and financial aid. It is best to contact the admissions office for the most up-to-date information on tuition and fees.

2. Do I need a GED to attend Florida's cheapest college for a degree in Astronomy/Physics?

Yes, a GED or high school diploma is typically required for admission to any college or university, including Florida's cheapest college for a degree in Astronomy/Physics. Some colleges may have additional requirements, so it is important to check with the admissions office for specific requirements.

3. Can I transfer my GED credits to Florida's cheapest college for a degree in Astronomy/Physics?

It is possible to transfer GED credits to Florida's cheapest college for a degree in Astronomy/Physics, but it ultimately depends on the policies of the college you are transferring from. It is best to contact the admissions office of the college you are interested in attending for more information on their transfer credit policies.

4. Are there any scholarships available for students pursuing a degree in Astronomy/Physics at Florida's cheapest college?

Yes, there are often scholarships available for students pursuing a degree in Astronomy/Physics at Florida's cheapest college. It is important to research and apply for scholarships early in the application process to increase your chances of receiving funding.

5. What is the job outlook for graduates with a degree in Astronomy/Physics from Florida's cheapest college?

The job outlook for graduates with a degree in Astronomy/Physics from Florida's cheapest college is positive. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment in the field of physics and astronomy is projected to grow 7% from 2019 to 2029, which is faster than the average for all occupations.