Is the Chandler Wobble increasing?

• Thread starter shenue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Increasing
In summary, the Earth's Chandler Wobble has been increasing, which could be contributing to the increase in earthquakes and magnitude of earthquakes. However, this increase is not yet having an effect on the Earth's crust.
shenue
I have read several articles recently saying the Earth's Chandler Wobble has been increasing. If this is true, would it have an effect on the Earth's crust? I notice there seems to be an increased number, and magnitude of earthquakes in recent years. Could this be, at least in part, due to an increase in the Chandler Wobble?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I have not studied this question but a google search reveals many correlation graphs.

Google

"correlation between chandler wobble and seismic activity"

remember the old statististical saw though

Correlation does not imply causation.

Right, maybe the increased earthquake activity and associated rearrangements of mass caused the change in the Chandler wobble, or maybe something unindentified yet caused both. Or maybe it's just coincidence.

What you both say is very true. Thank you for responding to my question. I had done some searches and will do more. Again, thank you both.

shenue said:
I notice there seems to be an increased number, and magnitude of earthquakes in recent years. Could this be, at least in part, due to an increase in the Chandler Wobble?

Hi shenue,
welcome to PF :)

not sure where you were getting your info from ? but long term records downt show any increase in activity in the last 100 years of good systematic record keeping

on avg there is 1 x M8+ per year, on rare occassions there may be a couple like we did have this year, but that is offset by the years that there are no M8+ events

On avg there are ~ 18 x M7 - M7.9 events per year. This year 2012 has been VERY quiet, we have just finished a 4 month drought of M7+ events when we got the M7.7 a few days ago off the east coast of Sakhalin Is.
The last events over M7 were the 2 x M8+ events on the 24th March off the NW Sumateran coast.

so I would have to say that the wobble if it is increasing doesn't appear to be affecting the seismic activity as of yet

cheers
Dave

shenue said:
I have read several articles recently saying the Earth's Chandler Wobble has been increasing. If this is true, would it have an effect on the Earth's crust? I notice there seems to be an increased number, and magnitude of earthquakes in recent years. Could this be, at least in part, due to an increase in the Chandler Wobble?

Links to articles and data very much appreciated.

billiards said:
Links to articles and data very much appreciated.

lol I wonder if he will check this thread again ?
he got some answers, which he was grateful for, but were inaccurate because they were based on his poor information

hopefully he does come back with some links to articles.
My seismic info is based on the information readily available on the USGS quakes www site
and is backed up by my own seismic recordings and studies of worldwide quakes from home

Dave

davenn
I realize this thread is a bit old but if your still reading this, would it be possible to answer this ?

If the Earth is basically a lump of rock mainly covered in water. (OK its a bit soft in the middle).and the rock alone, has a natural spread of mass to maintain a (somewhat)balanced rotation, with the water absorbing some of the imbalance.
Now if this mass is mainly spherical then the only part that's unbalanced is the surface.
If the upper mantle and the crust is slowly shifting due to continental drift, would it be possible to calculate how far they have to move before there is a shift in the rotational axis ?

1. What is the Chandler Wobble?

The Chandler Wobble is a small, periodic change in the Earth's rotation that occurs approximately every 14 months. It was first discovered by American astronomer Seth Carlo Chandler in 1891.

2. How is the Chandler Wobble measured?

The Chandler Wobble is measured using a technique called Very Long Baseline Interferometry (VLBI). This involves using multiple radio telescopes around the world to precisely measure the positions of distant quasars. By tracking the changes in these positions over time, scientists can determine the Earth's rotation and the Chandler Wobble.

3. Is the Chandler Wobble increasing?

There is ongoing research and debate about whether the Chandler Wobble is increasing. Some studies have suggested that it has increased in recent decades, while others have found no significant change. The cause of any potential increase is still not fully understood.

4. What factors can influence the Chandler Wobble?

The Chandler Wobble can be influenced by a variety of factors, including changes in atmospheric pressure, ocean currents, and the Earth's internal structure. Climate change and melting ice caps have also been proposed as potential contributors to the Chandler Wobble.

5. What are the potential implications of an increasing Chandler Wobble?

If the Chandler Wobble is indeed increasing, it could have potential implications for our planet's climate and weather patterns. Changes in the Earth's rotation can affect the distribution of mass on the surface, which in turn can impact ocean currents and atmospheric circulation. Further research is needed to fully understand the potential consequences of an increasing Chandler Wobble.