Must Read Books: William Faulkner, Robert Musil, Ernesto Sabato, Etc.

• Thread starter nazarbaz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, the conversation discussed various novels, philosophy books, and strange titles such as "Zombie Stripper Apocalypse" and "I Married a Monkey." The speaker listed some of their current favorite books, including "A Canticle for Leibowitz" and "The Hunger Games." They also mentioned non-fiction works such as "The Greatest Show on Earth" and "American Fascists." The conversation ended with the speaker stating that their list may change in the future, as they are currently going through books on their shelf.
nazarbaz
Here is some of mine... I wish you'll give me yours.

Novels :
William Faulkner - Sanctuary
Robert Musil - The man without qualities
Ernesto Sabato - Abaddon
Louis Ferdinand Céline - Le voyage au bout de la nuit
F. S. Fitzgerald - Tender is the night

Philosophy :

Baruch Spinoza - Ethics
Martin Heidegger - The letter about humanism, What is metaphysics ?, etc.
Theodor Adorno and Max Horkheimer - The dialectic of enlightment.
Michel Foucault - Surveiller et punir. Histoire de la prison.
Gilles Deleuze, Félix Guattari - Mille plateaux.

Weird things :

Miguel Angel Asturias - Three of the four suns
F. Nietzsche - The gay knowledge
Georges Bataille - L'expérience intérieure
Niccolo Machiavelli - The prince.
Antonin Artaud - Le théâtre de la cruauté.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Naked Came the Stranger
How to Avoid Probate
Zombie Stripper Apocalypse
I Married a Monkey
How to Win Friends and Influence People
Chicken Soup for the Soul
101 Great Mambos

Before I say anything I'm going to mention that I have some great books on my shelf that I'm going through right now, so a few months or a year from now this list would be entirely different (1984, Brave New World, The Windup Girl, Blindness, The Republic, etc).

But for now my list of books is something like this:

Novels
- A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr (my favourite novel of all time)
- Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
- Dune by Frank Herbert (all around awesome, but a little dense)
- Golden Compass (Northern Lights to you Europeans) by Philip Pullman (and sequels, unlike some I actually think it gets better the further along you go)
- Flashforward by Robert J. Sawyer (his other books are mediocre to good out of the ones I've read)
- Next, Andromeda Strain, Sphere, Congo, State of Fear (guilty pleasure), Timeline by Michael Crichton
- Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (the second is great, the third is a let down)
- The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett (Just all-around awesome)
- The Pendragon Series by D.J. MacHale (10 books, my favourite youth series)
- World War Z by Max Brooks
- On the Beach by Neville Shute
- The Hatchet by Gary Paulsen
- The Giver by Lois Lowry (I'm so excited for the sequel!)

Non-Fiction
- The Greatest Show on Earth, The Selfish Gene, The Blind Watchmaker, The Ancestor's Tale by Richard Dawkins (unimaginably dry most of the time, but not always)
- Wonderful Life by Stephen Jay Gould (inspired me to think about Alternate History, my current obsession)
- Why Evolution is True by Jerry Coyne (well written, interesting and simple to understand)
- The World without Us by Alan Weisman
- American Fascists by Chris Hedges
- On Writing Well by William Zinsser

Given enough time and an examination of my shelves I could probably think of a ton of other ones but this is a mostly comprehensive list.

1. What makes William Faulkner's books a must-read?

William Faulkner's books are considered must-reads because of his unique writing style and his exploration of complex themes such as race, class, and the human condition. His use of stream-of-consciousness narration and non-linear storytelling techniques have influenced many other writers and continue to captivate readers.

2. Why is Robert Musil's "The Man Without Qualities" considered a classic?

Robert Musil's "The Man Without Qualities" is considered a classic because of its profound commentary on the decline of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and its exploration of philosophical and existential themes. It also showcases Musil's mastery of language and character development.

3. What makes Ernesto Sabato's "The Tunnel" a must-read?

Ernesto Sabato's "The Tunnel" is considered a must-read because of its gripping and thought-provoking depiction of the human psyche. The novel delves into themes of obsession, guilt, and the search for truth, making it a compelling and unforgettable read.

4. Are these books suitable for all readers?

While these books are considered literary masterpieces, they may not be suitable for all readers. Some of the themes and language used in these books may be challenging or disturbing for some individuals. It is important for readers to research and understand the content of these books before deciding to read them.

5. Can these books still be relevant in modern times?

Yes, these books are timeless and continue to be relevant in modern times. The themes and issues explored in these books are universal and can still resonate with readers today. Additionally, the unique writing styles and techniques used by these authors continue to inspire and influence contemporary literature.

Back