Who should I choose for organic chemistry next semester?

• Thread starter member 392791
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Semester
In summary, the student is deciding between taking organic chemistry with a knowledgeable but unpleasant professor or a less skilled but more pleasant professor. The student's intended major is chemical engineering and organic chemistry may not be crucial for it. The student is seeking advice on which professor to choose.
member 392791
I am taking organic chemistry, and I will be choosing who to take next semester for the 2nd half of the class. I am taking it with someone (I've made a previous post about it) that I am not too fond of his personality. However, I cannot deny that he is an expert in the field with accolades etc.

However, the other professor is much less skilled in the field, but is a much more pleasant person to be around.

Do I take the jerk that is knowledgeable or the nice lady that isn't as knowledgeable? Organic chemistry probably isn't too important for my intended major (chemical engineering).

What would you guys do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Woopydalan said:
I am taking organic chemistry, and I will be choosing who to take next semester for the 2nd half of the class. I am taking it with someone (I've made a previous post about it) that I am not too fond of his personality. However, I cannot deny that he is an expert in the field with accolades etc.

However, the other professor is much less skilled in the field, but is a much more pleasant person to be around.

Do I take the jerk that is knowledgeable or the nice lady that isn't as knowledgeable? Organic chemistry probably isn't too important for my intended major (chemical engineering).

What would you guys do?
I'd take the person I mesh with better. Any organic chemists is more than capable of teaching an intro sequence on organic chemistry.

She isn't an organic chemist. I think she did masters in biochemistry and is shaky on the material..the other guy is a caltech educated organic chemist with a phd, but he is really annoying to deal with personality wise. The lady is very easy going and not a pain in the rear end to deal with.Edit: I should also mention its her 2nd time teaching the class, whereas the other guy has been teaching it for a number of years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biochemistry is near enough. This person knows how to review Organic concepts and skills well enough to teach Organic Chemistry. This person may actually know as much as needed already or more for the course. You would want best to take from this person who you believe has a personality that will blend better with yours.

Woopydalan said:
She isn't an organic chemist. I think she did masters in biochemistry and is shaky on the material..the other guy is a caltech educated organic chemist with a phd, but he is really annoying to deal with personality wise. The lady is very easy going and not a pain in the rear end to deal with.
She is probably fine to teach the course. Getting a PhD from caltech does not mean one is better at teaching a course intended for sophomores. She might put a more biological spin on the way she covers some material, but organic chemistry curricula is pretty standardized overall so I doubt that too.

1. Who should I take for my next semester classes?

This is a personal decision and will depend on your academic goals and interests. It is recommended to research professors and course syllabi to find the best fit for your learning style.

2. How can I find out which professors are teaching next semester?

You can typically find this information on your school's website or by contacting your academic advisor. You can also search for course listings and see which professors are listed for each class.

3. What should I consider when choosing a professor for next semester?

Some factors to consider include their teaching style, class size, availability for office hours, and reviews from previous students. It is also important to consider if the professor specializes in the subject you are interested in.

4. Is it better to choose a well-known or highly rated professor for next semester?

It ultimately depends on your learning preferences. Some students may prefer a well-known professor for their expertise and reputation, while others may value a highly rated professor for their teaching style and student satisfaction.

5. Can I switch professors if I am not satisfied with my choice for next semester?

In most cases, you can switch professors if there is availability in the class you want to switch to. However, it is important to check with your school's policies and deadlines for class registration changes.