Does University Ranking Impact Post-Graduate Studies?

In summary, if you want to continue your education after completing your undergraduate degree, the rank of the uni you attend doesn't matter as much as other factors such as the quality of the university's programs and the quality of the faculty.
Synchronised
I am choosing between a rank 24 uni and a rank 45 uni, should rank have any effect on my decision?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this for undergrad? A difference that big does mean something. If you know what you want to major in, you might also want to look at how good that specific department is.

bcrowell said:
Is this for undergrad? A difference that big does mean something. If you know what you want to major in, you might also want to look at how good that specific department is.

The rank 24 uni is Australian National University, it's known to be an excellent university for post graduate studies and research which means I can continue with my post graduate studies after completing my bachelor at the same uni, the other is Sydney uni or uni of NSW, Sydney is good for commerce, science and medicine and UNSW is good for science and engineering.
If I go to ANU I have to move to a different state and live there (they give a $40000 scholarship) with the other two I can stay at home.
In general does uni rank matter when it comes to education/recognition?

Synchronised said:
The rank 24 uni is Australian National University, it's known to be an excellent university for post graduate studies and research which means I can continue with my post graduate studies after completing my bachelor at the same uni, the other is Sydney uni or uni of NSW, Sydney is good for commerce, science and medicine and UNSW is good for science and engineering.
If I go to ANU I have to move to a different state and live there (they give a $40000 scholarship) with the other two I can stay at home.
In general does uni rank matter when it comes to education/recognition?

Yes, it makes a huge difference. It will affect you every day for the rest of your life. If ANU is offering you a generous scholarship, then IMO you'd be nuts not to go there.

You shouldn't be picking your undergrad school based on their grad program. It's very uncommon for people to go to grad school at the same university where they did their undergrad degree. For one thing, there's no guarantee that you'd be admitted there for grad school.

Almost all undergrad courses at ANU are in the Research and Development category i.e. most students who do them go into post graduate studies, if I was to do my post graduate studies at a different university it will have to be an overseas university because ANU is the best in Australia.
I still have about 10 months to make my final decision but I'm very interested in http://studyat.anu.edu.au/programs/4715HBENG;overview.html
Since I made a decision I can relax now and concentrate on my studies :)

1. Does university rank really affect my future career prospects?

While university rank can have some influence on your future career prospects, it is not the only determining factor. Employers also consider your skills, experience, and personal qualities. Additionally, the reputation and connections of your specific program or department may be more important than the overall university rank.

2. Is attending a higher ranked university worth the higher cost?

This depends on your individual goals and circumstances. A higher ranked university may provide access to better resources, networking opportunities, and a more rigorous academic experience. However, it is important to consider the financial burden and whether the potential benefits outweigh the cost.

3. Can I still be successful if I attend a lower ranked university?

Absolutely. Your success in life is not solely determined by the university you attend. It is important to make the most of your education, regardless of the university's rank, by gaining practical experience, building a strong network, and developing valuable skills.

4. How do universities determine their rankings?

University rankings are determined by various factors, including academic reputation, research output, student satisfaction, and employer reputation. Each ranking system may weigh these factors differently, leading to variations in rankings.

5. Can university rankings change over time?

Yes, university rankings can change from year to year. This can be due to changes in the ranking methodology, improvements or declines in the university's performance, or the emergence of new universities that may have a higher rank. It is important to consider trends over time rather than relying solely on one year's ranking.