Spectrophotometry area of chemistry

In summary, the equilibrium concentration of AuBr_{4}^{-} can be determined by preparing a solution of AuBr_{4}^{-} and AuBr_{2}^{-} in contact with a piece of gold metal. The equilibrium constant for: AuBr_{4}^{-} + 2Au + 2Br^{-} --> 3AuBr_{2}^{-} can be determined by preparing a solution of AuBr_{4}^{-} and AuBr_{2}^{-} in contact with a piece of gold metal, and using compound-specific extinction coefficients.
thenewbosco
I am not familiar with this area of chemistry. The theory given in the manual doesn't really help. The only thing it says is that absorption is proportional to concentration. Maybe you can give me some assistance on how to get started and some equations that i can use.

The eqilibrium constant for: [tex]AuBr_{4}^{-} + 2Au + 2Br^{-} --> 3AuBr_{2}^{-}[/tex] can be determined by preparing a solution of AuBr[tex]_{4}^{-}[/tex] and AuBr[tex]_{2}^{-}[/tex] in contact with a piece of gold metal.
In one experiment a solution initially containing [tex]6.41x10^{-4}[/tex] mol/L of dissolved gold (both AuBr[tex]_{4}^{-}[/tex] and AuBr[tex]_{2}^{-}[/tex]) in 0.4 M HBr was allowed to attain equilibrium in the presence of gold metal. The absorbance was 0.445 in a 1.00 cm cell at 382nm.

In a separate experiment, the absorbance of a [tex]8.54x10^{-5}[/tex]M solution of only AuBr[tex]_{4}^{-}[/tex] (no AuBr[tex]_{2}^{-}[/tex] ) in 0.4 M HBr was determined in a 1.00cm cell to be 0.410 at 382nm. (AuBr[tex]_{2}^{-}[/tex] does not absorb at 382nm.)

a) calculate the equilibrium concentrations and b) evaluate the equilibrium constant.

I can get b) if i knew how to do a) can someone help me with this one?

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
here is what i have done can someone tell me if it is correct:

Given that [tex]A={\epsilon}cl[/tex] (from beers law i found on the internet)

I can use this and experiment two to get the [tex]{\epsilon} = 0.410/8.54^{-5}=4800.94[/tex]

Now from this value of epsilon, can i use it with beer's law again to calculate the concentration of AuBr[tex]_{4}^{-}[/tex] in the first experiment with the new A value (.445)?

Then i would have a concentration for AuBr[tex]_{4}^{-}[/tex] and i can subtract it from the combined concentration of 6.41E-4 M, to get [AuBr2].

Is this correct?

thanks

You should use compound-specific extinction coefficients, I mean, [itex]\displaystyle \epsilon_{{AuCl_4}^-}[/itex] and [itex]\displaystyle \epsilon_{{AuCl_2}^-}[/itex]

However, it was said that the latter species does not absorb at 382 nm, which means that the extinction coefficient for [AuBr2]- will be zero.

The second separate experiment will allow you to know the extinction coefficient for the first species, namely, [AuBr4]-. In the first experiment, you can find the final concentration of this species after equilbrium has been reached. The difference will totally be from the second Au+-bearing species, as solid Au is not spectrometrically specific.

wow thanks
i got that exact same question on my lab manual too! :P

What is spectrophotometry?

Spectrophotometry is a technique used in chemistry to measure the amount of light absorbed by a substance at different wavelengths. It is commonly used to determine the concentration of a solution or to identify the chemical composition of a substance.

How does spectrophotometry work?

In spectrophotometry, a light source is passed through a sample and the amount of light that passes through is measured by a detector. The data is then compared to a known standard to determine the concentration or composition of the sample.

What is the difference between absorbance and transmittance in spectrophotometry?

Absorbance is the amount of light that is absorbed by a substance, while transmittance is the amount of light that passes through a substance. In spectrophotometry, absorbance is measured and used to calculate the concentration of a solution, while transmittance is used to determine the amount of light absorbed by a substance.

What factors can affect the accuracy of spectrophotometric measurements?

The accuracy of spectrophotometric measurements can be affected by factors such as the quality of the instrument, the purity and concentration of the sample, and the presence of interfering substances. Temperature and pH can also have an impact on the absorbance of a substance.

What are some common applications of spectrophotometry in chemistry?

Spectrophotometry is used in a wide range of applications in chemistry, including quantitative analysis, environmental monitoring, drug development, and forensic analysis. It is also commonly used in biochemical and biotechnology research to measure enzyme activity and analyze protein and DNA concentrations.